Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Nymphing shallow water

The Poudre has been fishing like **** the last few months. The T, on the other hand, has been on fire.

2. Default Re: Nymphing shallow water

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    If I interpreted your post correctly and you have enough room to swing streamers then another option is to swing a wet fly trailed by a small beadhead nymph.
    This has been my most successful strategy thus far. The water is still pretty cold, so the fish haven't been hanging in the currents yet, but last year I did well swinging wet flies and streams.

3. Default Re: Nymphing shallow water

Great info. The first picture you posted is very much what we are dealing with now on the Poudre. There is some variation to the steam, like most streams, and it may not be precisely true pocket water, but in parts many of the big boulders are really the places where it seems to make sense to target the fish, but clearly I'm missing many of the other places! Thanks for the diagram, as well, that's really helpful. Have you spent lots of time fishing this type of stream?

4. Default Re: Nymphing shallow water

Quote Originally Posted by reels View Post
    Welcome to CO!
    Finally; always use a ninja-like approach so you don't spook em off.
    I really need to work on my stealth!

5. Likes reels liked this post
  6. Default Re: Nymphing shallow water

Quote Originally Posted by zjory View Post
    The Poudre has been fishing like **** the last few months. The T, on the other hand, has been on fire.
    What the explanation for this!? Someone was commenting in another forum that the Poudre is suffering considerably from the Riff-raff. On Saturday, I drove an hour upstream until I found a place to park.

Quote Originally Posted by mporter012 View Post
    What the explanation for this!? Someone was commenting in another forum that the Poudre is suffering considerably from the Riff-raff. On Saturday, I drove an hour upstream until I found a place to park.
    Don't know. Just know I fish them both and the T has been hot for a while and the Poudre has been cold. If I had to guess, I would say extreme fluctuation in flows in the Poudre last 8 months is the major factor.

Fished the Poudre last spring with my nephew who live in Fort Collins at the time. Fish were small for the most part but we did catch fish. Don't be fooled by the low water. There are lots of small channels and drops. Just have to look for them. That's where I caught fish. Didn't have to high stick or euro nymph for them. Just cast above and drift back seemed to work fine for me. A change in depth from 6" to 18" on a drop was enough to hold fish. Just have to look for those little "holes" hiding out there. Some channels were only about 8 - 10 ft in length, one to two feet deep, and maybe a foot to two feet wide. Like I said, just have to look for them and fish them. And realize each spot might only hold one or two fish. I wouldn't try to fish too long at each point. Catch one and move on or try three or four drifts for a second fish and if nothing move on. Only fished it two days but that strategy worked for us. Didn't catch anything over 12". Most of the fish were in the 6" - 10" range. Several times I stayed up on the bank and studied the water for a bit until I saw fish. Then moved to a position where I could stay out of their line of sight to cast. Too far away to high stick or euro nymph. Never tried swinging soft hackles. I'm sure it would have worked. Caught fish on a variety of flies so no real "hot fly" to speak of. Fly size didn't seem to be an issue either. Used anything from a #16 - #22. Not generally a place I'd plan to go to since I don't live locally. But If I lived close by like you I'd definitely use it as my fun spot if I were time limited on travel for the day or just wanted to fish for no other reason than just to fish for a quick morning, afternoon, or lunch break fix.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

9. Default Re: Nymphing shallow water

Thanks for the input. You are right about the channels and drops. Those are the places the fish hang. I'll give your strategy a try. I have been spending a couple minutes just looking at the water and strategizing. It's not straightforward water. The more I think of it, the more I'm convinced that I've been getting too close to the fish and spooking them. Interestingly, you don't see lots of fish spook in the Poudre. When I was in Wisconsin, you'd see fish spook in the driftless all the time. A shadow would hit the water, and off would go 3 or 4 fish. That said, some of the wisconny streams have 9 million fish per mile!

10. Likes kevind62 liked this post

Some of those big shallow runs below the canyon have lots of hidden small channels and small holes in them. Walk the length of the run and look for them.
    Kevin
    "Fight like you're the 3rd monkey trying to get on Noah's Ark"
    "Not every day is filled with sunshine. Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"
    "If God had intended for man to only fish on weekends, He never would have created the other 5 days of the week."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12