Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Fishing on the shore

Roll cast out 10 to 15ft of fly line plus the leader and then start your cast. On retrieving the line do not bring all of the fly line back into the rod guides, keep 15ft minimum (20ft even better) of fly line on the water to load your rod for the next cast.

Anytime you have less fly line out of the tip of the rod than the rod length the line will come back into the guides and pile up at your feet.

Just pull out 10 or so of fly line and then strip the rest from the tell. Start with a roll cast and then get to business
    Capt Mike
    Angler Management Sport Fishing
    42 Express Sportfish - 24 Carolina Skiff

My Quiver:
    Asquith 9 & 11
    Sage Accel 8
    Loomis GL3 8/9 and 10/11

Abel SS Custom Shop Reels
    Amplitude Tropical Titan Lines

I hike to high mountain lakes most of July and August. Primarily to get away from crowds. While I have a packraft and use it often, winds sometimes preclude me from using the packraft. To much wind I get blown around to much.
    My best tip is first and foremost, google earth the lake. Find drop offs or points.
    Second, go to those points. Knowing a point on all sides, N-S-E-W is the best.
    Set yourself on the point with the wind blowing down the lake, horizontal to the point. I cast out and let the wind blow it across the point. When I first started fly fishing would find a point that allowed me to fish casting with me right shoulder out towards the lake. As I learned to cast backwards and even left handed I find the best point with a nice drop off and a nice shallow rocky bay.
    Windy days means no packraft, but great nymph fishing with a strike indicator because the chop moves the strike indicator up and down giving your nymph life. Cast it out, let the wind push the wind across your face and plan the cast to 'drop off the edge'.
    Last but not least, hike with water shoes. Some lakes I can hike out a couple feet into. Cools off my feet, but also gives me a bit more angle to cast. Of, course, if you are hiking to a lake, carry a fresh pair of socks to put on for the trip back. Whether you use water shoes or not. A fresh pair of socks for the walk home is awesome!!
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

4. Thanks silver creek thanked for this post
    Likes ramjet liked this post

I once saw a young flyer struggling with what you described and saw him casting with just the leader out of the tip. I don't think you would cast with just the leader of the tip but just like the other guys already suggested, you could use more line out of the tip to prevent the line from slipping down the guides.

Stripping basket is super great when fishing from the banks preventing line tangles on brush or being stepped on. If you are using intermediate line the basket will help you to keep the line from sinking and help you to cast farther too.
    I don't always catch fish; but when I do I scream like a little girl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamboknee View Post
    Was out tossing the line at a lake yesterday.
    It's been over a year since I've been fly fishing so I'm a little rusty.

Any tips on fly fishing from the shore?
    I was having trouble just trying to get the fly in the water so I can begin casting and line dropping down the eyelets to the point I'd have to pull it back out with the leader and tippet.
    Here's a trick for getting line out: pull about 2-3 feet of fly line (leader doesn't count) out from the tip guide and point the rod at a downward angle towards the water. Now strip about 20 ft. of line from the reel (about 4-6 strips). Now lift rod until it's pointing about straight up and immediately begin a stirring motion (it doesn't have to be fast; just fast enough to keep the line off the ground) and simultaneously allow line to slide through the fingers of your line hand. In a few seconds the 20 ft. of line will be past the rod tip and you simply lay the rod down towards the water, the line will fall straight out in front of you.

Note: this will put some twist in the line, so I generally stir 3 times clockwise then 3 times counter-clockwise to get rid of it.

Another way to do the same thing is to pull about 3-4 feet of fly line from the rod tip and then strip off about 20 ft. of line from the reel, then while pointing the rod at the water (20 degree angle?) simply wave the rod tip left-right and let the line slip down the rod guides.

If I have room for it, I usually do the first technique. It's more fun. You do have to be careful with spooky fish though.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Quote Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
    Here's a trick for getting line out: pull about 2-3 feet of fly line (leader doesn't count) out from the tip guide and point the rod at a downward angle towards the water. Now strip about 20 ft. of line from the reel (about 4-6 strips). Now lift rod until it's pointing about straight up and immediately begin a stirring motion (it doesn't have to be fast; just fast enough to keep the line off the ground) and simultaneously allow line to slide through the fingers of your line hand. In a few seconds the 20 ft. of line will be past the rod tip and you simply lay the rod down towards the water, the line will fall straight out in front of you.

Note: this will put some twist in the line, so I generally stir 3 times clockwise then 3 times counter-clockwise to get rid of it.

Another way to do the same thing is to pull about 3-4 feet of fly line from the rod tip and then strip off about 20 ft. of line from the reel, then while pointing the rod at the water (20 degree angle?) simply wave the rod tip left-right and let the line slip down the rod guides.

If I have room for it, I usually do the first technique. It's more fun. You do have to be careful with spooky fish though.
    Excellent method.

I do something similar. After pulling like off the reel, I wave the rod tip back and forth to get the line out of the rod tip and onto the water. You can also flip the rod tip as if you are feeding line or mending line. Then the line won't twist.

After you get some line out, roll cast it out. Then repeat to get more line out, roll cast and repeat until you have the amount of line out that you want.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12