Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  46
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: Beginners advice.....

I will! Thanks!

Blog Entries

20191129_131442[1] by James Landis, on Flickr

One thing you realize after a while....is we are not all created equal. (And that's OK...)
    My friend/protege is a hard core fisher, but, he is 6ft 9inches tall. Boy can he high stick!!!
    So his achillies' heel is his height...hard to be sneaky when they see you coming......they see your rod tip movement/shadow first, then your hat.......
    Compensating for his issue, he eases out and stays low, and takes a seat. He takes a few minutes to get there, because herding fish isn't productive..
    He is almost totally camo, and moves quietly like a ninja....no waves, no splashing, no grinding of cleats on rocks...
    He waits a little while before casting to let them decide that, "I guess the coast is clear." then he makes a drift.
    ONE perfect drift.....viola!!!! We one-drift a lot of fish, most guides can...., 200 drifts doesn't really help.
    We all have issues....the question is what you are going to do about it?
    Raise your game and make fewer drifts to catch more fish.
    As I say, "Don't fish like Brad" standing ON the rock is not the approach. Try hiding behind it instead....

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 11-30-2019 at 12:56 PM.

3. Likes flytie09 liked this post

The biggest mistake intermediate anglers make is assuming the opposite bank is where the fish are.

Closely followed by not keeping a low profile.

On further review, let's reverse these. #1 no low profile #2 OBS (opposite bank syndrome)

Quote Originally Posted by iv_wjb View Post
    Further to this, most cars now just need the key-fob to be in close proximity for one to unlock the doors. No more fumbling around for keys or the fob. Very practical.

I really like the advice to break-down & stow the rod / reel before taking off the vest, boots and waders. Great advice.
    Agreed. I keep my car fob with me inside my waders, and that allows me to open the trunk without fumbling. First priority is disassembling my rod and packing it in the case. When it is safely stowed, I then can take off my vest, waders etc and reflect on what a great day it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
    20191129_131442[1] by James Landis, on Flickr

One thing you realize after a while....is we are not all created equal. (And that's OK...)
    My friend/protege is a hard core fisher, but, he is 6ft 9inches tall. Boy can he high stick!!!
    So his achillies' heel is his height...hard to be sneaky when they see you coming......they see your rod tip movement/shadow first, then your hat.......
    Compensating for his issue, he eases out and stays low, and takes a seat. He takes a few minutes to get there, because herding fish isn't productive..
    He is almost totally camo, and moves quietly like a ninja....no waves, no splashing, no grinding of cleats on rocks...
    He waits a little while before casting to let them decide that, "I guess the coast is clear." then he makes a drift.
    ONE perfect drift.....viola!!!! We one-drift a lot of fish, most guides can...., 200 drifts doesn't really help.
    We all have issues....the question is what you are going to do about it?
    Raise your game and make fewer drifts to catch more fish.
    As I say, "Don't fish like Brad" standing ON the rock is not the approach. Try hiding behind it instead....

Jim
    LOL!
    One outing this spring while fishing the Credit River, I noticed a large rock in the middle of the river. It stood about 3 feet out of the water, which was quite high and fast, being springtime.

I couldn't resist the urge so I worked my way down and climbed up the rock to recreate the shadow casting scene from ARRTI just for fun. I played the line back and forth a few times and had it extended and flowing beautifully, then I let it land, not really in control of where it was going, other than to keep it away from trees.

A second or two after it landed, it was hit hard, so hard the fish set the hook itself. The scene that followed would have made a great comedy, as I frantically looked for a safe way down from the rock (didn't want to jump into fast flowing, knee deep water) while trying to keep the fish on the line. Even I was laughing out loud as I very gingerly got into the water and found good footing.

Luckily the fish wasn't a monster (12 inch brown) and I managed to land it, but I won't be doing that again any time soon, although it would make for a great picture as an avatar

7. Likes Bigfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

I claim to be the president of the Universal fishers assoc.
    I say that, because I have done all the dumb things that can be done with a fly rod.
    Jumping on the rock included. It seems everyone has to do this. Way before the shadow casting shite.
    I would say it's normal. Hence my fixation on being abnormal, and not fishing like the other guy.
    Since many big fish are aware of our habits around here...rock jumping....is something that gives them the advantage...rule #1, never tell them you are coming. Fish the rock first, then use it for cover.

Jim
    Last edited by Bigfly; 12-05-2019 at 07:27 PM.
    The bar isn't set by the fish we catch, but by the one's we don't.

Bigfly

9. Likes Ibroxlad liked this post
    Streams in the GWNF, SNP,Potomac, Rappahanock and Shenandoah Rivers, Exploring NY and PNW rivers

Well there is some really great practical advice in this thread for the OP, all of which I agree with. As a soon to be no longer a beginner here is my.02. Amidst all the decisions about what gear to get, how to cast, where to fish etc, etc, etc. don't forget why you got up in the morning, drove to the river and got in the water. It's so easy in this very meticulous pursuit to forget that I'm on the water because I love the outdoors and have been blessed with good health, decent fitness and access to actually wade hip deep in some of the most beautiful places and hunt after some of the most beautiful of nature's creatures. When time for a snack or lunch comes, don't go back to your truck, sit on a rock in the middle of the creek and absorb it all as you chow down, so many people will never get the chance to do so. It's so easy to forget as you are covering water, working your way up stream from pool to pool, focusing on not casting a shadow, etc the amazing place that you are in and how fortunate you are to be there. I forget often, maybe 1/2 way into the day on the water until I text a picture back of the freestone stream I'm in and the "Oohs and Ahhs" just pour in and remind me. May a newbies wonder never cease. Enjoy.
    Last edited by City Rat; 12-06-2019 at 02:27 PM.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

11. Likes iv_wjb, Ibroxlad liked this post

I am going to disagree with most on this post. My order is ALWAYS as follows (and I am STRICT about this order).
    1.Rod under window wipers
    2. Sunglasses Away
    3. Sling/pack DIRECTLY in car (Shell in car if wearing it)
    5. Boots off and DIRECTLY in car.
    6. Waders of and NO MATTER how dirty, DIRECTLY in car.
    7. Rod off and in Rod Box.

My Rational: Over the many years I have lost almost every Fly fishing accessory possible. At least for me, everything that I own fly fishing wise is as top of the line as you can get. Sunglasses are the smallest item, lose a $200 pair once and you will never do it again! They go in first. Flies and pack are 2nd by necessity also my Simms Jacket if wearing. Again directly in car hung up. Boots, 3rd, would be 2nd if I did not have to strip off upper layers to get to them as I have left at least a couple pairs behind in my years. Anymore boots and (or at least the kind I wear) are $200-$300! Waders are next directly off in cab where I can see them (should not be left in back of truck to freeze). Have never left my waders but almost have and have had nightmares about it ever since. Again Simms Waders (the best by my assessment) are $800 to $1000! I figure when I get back to my truck, I do not "open" anything and risk putting sunglasses on tailgate or leaving Pack on ground in the bushes etc..etc... When I get back all I am dong at first is "closing:" close my glasses, close my pack and jacket, close my boots close my waders, THEN rod that is under wipers on front windshield gets stowed. Anyway, Have not lost an item in over 15 years. Oh ya, if you are out there, and you have them, please continue to enjoy my Action Optics Lost River "low-light yellow" glasses which I left on a post the Slough Creek parking lot in 2005.

13. Likes Bigfly liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234