Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Beginners advice.....

I have noticed a lot of new fishermen on this and other sites, that's really good. In addition to the questions and advice about rods, reels, lines, flies, etc. I have one other piece of advice to offer.

The very FIRST thing you should do at the end of your fishing is to PUT UP YOUR FLY ROD!!! Do not pass go, do not collect $200. If putting up means breaking it down and putting it back in the tube, do it. Just make sure the rod is secured and safe where it will not get lost or broken. What often happens is people get back to the vehicle and place the rod on the roof or against a tree and then proceed to take off waders, boots, etc. It is very easy to get distracted by others or in conversation and forget the rod is either left behind or on the roof of the car where it falls off and gets run over.

I have taken several new fishermen out and even those with years of experience and they place the rod off to the side and proceed to remove gear. Do not fall for this temptation. This advice is offered as I have seen on this and other boards where either a rod has been lost or found. I can't help but think for every post I see of these there are tens of others who do not post about lost or found rods.
    Mainline the blueline

Default Re: Beginners advice.....

At the very least, lay your rod across the windshield wipers.

3. Likes ia_trouter, Rip Tide, mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by rusty 54 View Post
    At the very least, lay your rod across the windshield wipers.
    I do that occasionally if I know I am going to be distracted before I finish packing. That's my reminder me to do a walk around the vehicle.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Tapatalk

5. Likes rusty 54, mcnerney liked this post
  6. Default Re: Beginners advice.....

Always disassembled the rod and reel and put them away in the rod bag/reel pouch and put in my trunk before I proceed to remove boots and waders.

7. Likes mcnerney, brook rookie liked this post

Excellent advice. Stow your rod and reel first before anything else. Then you can take off the waders and vest/pack. Too easy to lose track of your fly rod/reel. And usually they are the most expensive investment.
    "On the water...the perfect cast...a beautiful fish...fooled at last!"
    O J Chartrand Jr

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Blog Entries

Excellent, excellent, excellent advice.

Thanks,
    steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

No
    The very first thing that I need to do when I get back to my vehicle is take off my vest and drop my waders
    Unless you have your car keys in your hand, you don't have a choice.

It's what you need to do leading up to that that's most important and that's putting your rod on the wind shield of your car so that there's no way you can leave without forgetting it
    You don't need to pack your rod away first.
    You just need to make the right first step to insure that you don't forget to pack it away.
    Last edited by Rip Tide; 08-14-2019 at 05:34 PM.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

12. Likes rusty 54, coug liked this post

More advice : Don't completely trust a zinger. I have had them come unpinned or the snap opened.

14. Default Re: Beginners advice.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    No
    The very first thing that I need to do when I get back to my vehicle is take off my vest and drop my waders
    Unless you have your car keys in your hand, you don't have a choice.

It's what you need to do leading up to that that's most important and that's putting your rod on the wind shield of your car so that there's no way you can leave without forgetting it
    You don't need to pack your rod away first.
    You just need to make the right first step to insure that you don't forget to pack it away.
    If your wader has a dry pocket like the orvis Silversonic Guide, you can put the car key fob in there with button facing you so you just press the unlock through the polypocket. It will keep the fob dry even if you go for a swim and you don't have to take your waders off to get in your trouser pocket.

15. Likes iv_wjb, spm liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by fishing hobo View Post
    If your wader has a dry pocket like the orvis Silversonic Guide, you can put the car key fob in there with button facing you so you just press the unlock through the polypocket. It will keep the fob dry even if you go for a swim and you don't have to take your waders off to get in your trouser pocket.

Further to this, most cars now just need the key-fob to be in close proximity for one to unlock the doors. No more fumbling around for keys or the fob. Very practical.

I really like the advice to break-down & stow the rod / reel before taking off the vest, boots and waders. Great advice.
    Wallace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast