Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default Tricky situations

So I'm completely away from having to use crutches and my Dr says go for short walks. Super, I've been practicing my casts in the back yard, trying to perfect the basics. Still feels a lil sloppy to me but light years better than just starting out. My cousin instructor says it's time to move to water. Now there's a great place near here, very open water, a SW flats situation, no bush or tree obstructions (I'll probably find one anyway) soft bottom. Soon as the weather settles I'll upgrade to safe water to continue.
    But today was the first day I've been able to get out and walk more than 100 yards without it having to be flat. I actually did 300 yards before things decided I should turn around. Had I been fishing, I could have extended things exponentially. I like to toss lures walk, look for structure, toss and walk. I was out at an old, productive area I frequented. Plenty of bass, crappie (big'uns), annoying Florida gar (kill em all) and Talapia, freshwater mullet. Probably some carp, but I can't say I've seen em. Definitely bowfin.
    I started thinking about how I'd like to hook onto a few talapia or mullet here. They get big but there's only two ways to get em. On a spin rod and bread balls while chuming (booooring). The 2nd way which is obvious the better and more rewarding choice is on the fly, small ones. But as I surveyed the casting potential I couldn't figure out how it could be done. Could it be done? I'm sure it can. Anglers are known for their "where there's a will, there's a way" mentality. But being an inexperienced flyman (I'm not fly fishing yet) I'm clueless how a very determined and experienced fly angler would approach these short, steep banks. 10 feet behind you and it's a wall of grass. There's a 3-4 drop to the water at your feet. Plenty of knee high vegetation. The water is crystal clear.
    While I'm sure there are more several approaches to the task, I'd be interested to know the individual assessments (everyone has their own brand). Keep it simple, while I'm sure others would understand the "I'd use the Irish short spey and unfurloughed naughty draw with my pants down while nursing a 5th of single malt" description others like myself, would scratch our heads in puzzlement.
    Aaaaaaaaaand..... Discuss
    media_5dc1d5508cdbb5.98956760_33e2eac28fa4867335938652ba590d7dff96db21e35c78e32f6ec5f62e10ee87.jpg
    Luke 6:30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.
    However, if you touch my truck then you have exceeded the envelope of my generosity.

2. Likes leftytyro, ts47 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Tricky situations

Improvisation is the key in these situations. Hard to know exactly what I would do having not actually been there to touch that specific grass and have a real sense of the challenges on that specific ground. I don’t know how far it is you need to advance the fly either. Wind direction comes into play, too.

Some ideas come to mind. One, Stripping baskets are designed to hold loose fly line and allow for the line to feed without tangles. I’m not a fan of the baskets, but many are so there’s that option to look into. A basket keeps the line from the potentially ensnaring vegetation at your feet. You could also beat down a little spot in the vegetation or strip on top of it, some types of growth allow for that.

I would go for a sidearm to 45 degree cast with the rod and line out over the water as much as possible. It would be great if the wind was coming from the direction of the levee. Use any wind to help if you can. Oblique angle casts down the shoreline as much as possible to avoid the vegetation. Maybe a roll cast. Either way to negate the levee and heavy growth coming into play. I don’t guess you can get to the water’s edge, but if you could stripping line into very shallow water just at the edge is about ideal. Keeps the line nice and wet without adding much drag.

When I fly fish from shorelines, I really study the potential places to set up. You just have to consider altering how you cast, arm angles and such. One place I fish has high elevated brush behind me. If I raise the fly rod as high as I can, way above my shoulder, I can just clear the obstacles. No one advocates raising your arm above your shoulder to cast, but it’s the only way to clear the brush. I that place I use an ultra fast tip flexing rod that casts well with short and fast strokes.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

4. Likes Thwarptide, Ard, trev liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    Improvisation is the key in these situations. Hard to know exactly what I would do having not actually been there to touch that specific grass and have a real sense of the challenges on that specific ground. I donít know how far it is you need to advance the fly either. Wind direction comes into play, too.

Some ideas come to mind. One, Stripping baskets are designed to hold loose fly line and allow for the line to feed without tangles. Iím not a fan of the baskets, but many are so thereís that option to look into. A basket keeps the line from the potentially ensnaring vegetation at your feet. You could also beat down a little spot in the vegetation or strip on top of it, some types of growth allow for that.

I would go for a sidearm to 45 degree cast with the rod and line out over the water as much as possible. It would be great if the wind was coming from the direction of the levee. Use any wind to help if you can. Oblique angle casts down the shoreline as much as possible to avoid the vegetation. Maybe a roll cast. Either way to negate the levee and heavy growth coming into play. I donít guess you can get to the waterís edge, but if you could stripping line into very shallow water just at the edge is about ideal. Keeps the line nice and wet without adding much drag.

When I fly fish from shorelines, I really study the potential places to set up. You just have to consider altering how you cast, arm angles and such. One place I fish has high elevated brush behind me. If I raise the fly rod as high as I can, way above my shoulder, I can just clear the obstacles. No one advocates raising your arm above your shoulder to cast, but itís the only way to clear the brush. I that place I use an ultra fast tip flexing rod that casts well with short and fast strokes.
    I should have addressed the actual grasses in more detail because that's a real issue here. Standard wild grasses for Florida are tough, drought resistant. Even 20lb floro would get hung up on it. Braid...... When push comes to shove it would cut through it. Unidentified weeds..... Sheesh, they are a plenty and tougher than grass. Wish I could have worn pants today (hot and muggy) but I wore ankle gaiters just to keep the burrs and seeds off my shoes and socks.
    The water line is pretty well defined, step up to wear it stops and drops. At that point yer 3 feet above the water line. The grade to water line is steep and only extended no more than 3 feet.
    Water level is great, weeds close to bank are 2 feet below the surface, WATER IS VERY CLEAR (go figure).
    Luke 6:30 Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back.
    However, if you touch my truck then you have exceeded the envelope of my generosity.

I did bump into a video which demonstrates a similar (but worse) casting environment which I would view as impossible. I like being wrong when it's right. It looks like improvisation is a skill set to be persued with patience and much effort.