Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Make Factory Loops

Hey guys, Its that time of year, clean the reels and rods, tie flies and fix and dress lines. If you are a winter fly fisherman like me I`m switching up to my favorite winter lines.

I had two bad loops on fly lines from all the fishing I did last year. I like factory loops a lot, its nice to just change out tapered leaders of different sizes in a flash and keep fishing.

I was really bummed out man, two expensive fly lines with bad loops, until my local guy at the fly shop said, its easy to make new factory loops on fly lines.

Really? Enlighten me, I said.

He handed me a piece of clear heat shrink and said make a loop shove it through, heat with a lighter and use a fly tying scissors and cut off the heat shrink. Could it be that easy?

Got home and that's what I did, I messed up my first loop, because I overheated the line and then pulled on it before it cooled but after that perfect factory loops!

I did find this video, and basically this is what I did, minus the tool, I didn't need it, I got the loop through easily enough.

I`ll share this video because it was helpful. I am happy, new fixed fly lines for winter.

Peace.

2. Likes Druunkonego, flafly14, dennyk liked this post

Default Re: Make Factory Loops

too cool, thanks for sharing!

4. Thanks unknownflyman thanked for this post

I have a bad loop so timely post!
    Am I correct that the heat shrink is simply holding line in place and it’s being fused by heat? Any reason it has to be clear HS?

Yes the heat shrink just holds the line in place while being fused. The clear works good because you can see how close to the loop you are and for seeing the tag end fuse together.

You will cut the shrink tube off when the welding is finished, I can't color mattering Edit: I was wrong-"You have to watch through the shrink tube, to see if it is welding." so transparent is important.
    If you search there are several versions out there, hair iron, light bulb, heat gun etc suggested as heat.
    Welding your own loops in sink tips and fly lines | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.
    Welding your loops | Global FlyFisher | A simple 7-step guide will show you how to make small, neat loops on your fly lines. Just like the pros - just neater.
    Now you can finally say goodbye to big clumsy loops, acetone, glue and sewing processes. Doing it this way will give you, small, smooth and round loops.

I think I'd rather use this method;
    Sexyloops - Welded Loops on fly lines

The fact that there's no knot concerns me but I like the approach. I currently have a bad loop on my trout rod so I might just have to try this. Thanks!

Well, there is no knot from the factory, they just fuse the coating.

I suppose you're right. I guess I just assumed there was some kind of knot under there. (shurgs) How 'bout that?

Quote Originally Posted by Druunkonego View Post
    I suppose you're right. I guess I just assumed there was some kind of knot under there. (shurgs) How 'bout that?
    I think there is on some big game lines, tarpon ETC but what is trout line rated for? 15-20#. We normally are not using 20lb mono leaders, most coated running lines for steelhead and salmon are 20 and 30lb core running lines. The new no stretch cores have higher ratings I have some salmon runner at 65lb core. Ive never broken a loop, not even one that was worn.

12. Likes Druunkonego liked this post

I’ve sealed a line and put on one of those braided loops with no ill effect. If anything, with a little floatant the tip floats better than a factory loop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast