Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Fishing small streamers on a Zephrus 84wt anyone?

Ive purchased a Zephrus 84wt. While Im still learning...everything.. Ive been tying 14-6 flies for it but would like to use some 10-6 beadhead streamers as well. I have a glass 3wt that Ill be using for my smaller flies, but I would like the Zephrus to use in situations where I need to level up But still prob casting within 40 on average. I know it will cast streamers, but not sure of its limits. Anyone have experience in this regard? With line, lead size etc? What distance is comfortable and hook size? Thx

Blog Entries

Default Re: Fishing small streamers on a Zephrus 84wt anyone?

Hello and welcome to the forum

I do not have the exact same rod but have been casting streamers for a long time. For trout fishing I have been a 5 weight user more than any other rod / line weight and know that you can efficiently cast feather winged streamers up to size 4 long shank hook all day without issues. You may be quite surprised at what your rod will throw once you adapt your techniques to suit various size larger flies. Basically it's all about the casting technique regarding what any one person can make work on a given rod.

The bead head flies? Are you able to post a picture of them or one of them for reference. I ask because I've not used them myself. Because they have a bead head which I'll assume is either brass or tungsten you should take care so not to strike your own rod tip during the casting. Other than that caution I'd say that limiting the number of false casts will be of great benefit also.

With any sort of weight or weighted flies you are going to notice a significant difference between the weighted fly vs. one with zero added weight. The difference can be a noticeable thump at either end of the false cast fore or aft. This is where that technique I eluded to earlier comes into play. It will be up to you to develop casting strokes that will limit this sensation of the weight hitting the wall at the end of the line unfurling.

My best trick to pass along is that you learn (if not already familiar) to use the water to load the rod as you pick up line - leader & fly. Then use that loaded rod to throw just one single back cast and at the same time redirect the forward cast to the preferred target. Did that make sense? The idea is to limit the number of false casts when fishing a wet fly / streamer fly. By limiting the number of casts you eliminate the need for precise timing in the casting strokes to just that one back cast.

Another handy technique is to learn the single hand Spey cast or dynamic roll cast. This requires zero back cast and thus enables the streamer to be cast in areas where there is virtually no room to the rear for a standard back cast.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes tcorfey liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Ard View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum

I do not have the exact same rod but have been casting streamers for a long time. For trout fishing I have been a 5 weight user more than any other rod / line weight and know that you can efficiently cast feather winged streamers up to size 4 long shank hook all day without issues. You may be quite surprised at what your rod will throw once you adapt your techniques to suit various size larger flies. Basically it's all about the casting technique regarding what any one person can make work on a given rod.

The bead head flies? Are you able to post a picture of them or one of them for reference. I ask because I've not used them myself. Because they have a bead head which I'll assume is either brass or tungsten you should take care so not to strike your own rod tip during the casting. Other than that caution I'd say that limiting the number of false casts will be of great benefit also.

With any sort of weight or weighted flies you are going to notice a significant difference between the weighted fly vs. one with zero added weight. The difference can be a noticeable thump at either end of the false cast fore or aft. This is where that technique I eluded to earlier comes into play. It will be up to you to develop casting strokes that will limit this sensation of the weight hitting the wall at the end of the line unfurling.

My best trick to pass along is that you learn (if not already familiar) to use the water to load the rod as you pick up line - leader & fly. Then use that loaded rod to throw just one single back cast and at the same time redirect the forward cast to the preferred target. Did that make sense? The idea is to limit the number of false casts when fishing a wet fly / streamer fly. By limiting the number of casts you eliminate the need for precise timing in the casting strokes to just that one back cast.

Another handy technique is to learn the single hand Spey cast or dynamic roll cast. This requires zero back cast and thus enables the streamer to be cast in areas where there is virtually no room to the rear for a standard back cast.
    Thank you. That’s all clear and helpful, especially the casting tips. I guess my main concern was that as a dry fly rod which I intend to use it for, would it also throw some streamers comfortably ( with correct lead) as well. Without breaking off the tip! Haha. Is my 8’4wt gonna be an ok length and size. I’m referring to mostly wooly bugger streamers with tungsten bead heads and without as well. Here ranging from a 6 4xl and 10 2xl
    75D44BF9-5730-47BC-AA6C-3FF7781C3D6C.jpg

Blog Entries

I don't think they'll be a problem just take your time getting distance casts figured out.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

The only real problem I've ever encountered with smallish streamers on lighter weight rods has been getting a good hookset. Depending on the specs of the rod, there's not always enough stiffness to get a clean stripset with hooks with a thicker cross section, particularly if you're casting up current and working the fly directly downstream. It's usually not a problem if you're fishing cross current or downstream of your position, as the current and fish will tend to do your work for you if you don't get trout setty.

Quote Originally Posted by dylar View Post
    The only real problem I've ever encountered with smallish streamers on lighter weight rods has been getting a good hookset. Depending on the specs of the rod, there's not always enough stiffness to get a clean stripset with hooks with a thicker cross section, particularly if you're casting up current and working the fly directly downstream. It's usually not a problem if you're fishing cross current or downstream of your position, as the current and fish will tend to do your work for you if you don't get trout setty.
    Ok good to know, ty. I have not used the Zephrus, so will have to see in due time. It has a stronger than average butt and mid section according to the specs, not sure if that will help in regards to what you have experienced.

OP. You mention the rods limits, but part of that is Your limits. As the cast goes out and the loop forms, it does so in an orderly manner. The transfer of energy rolls from the fatter/heavier part of the line down the ever decreasing diameter tip. With small flies you can get the tight parallel loops and with bigger flies the loops starts to open up. The rod loads and unloads smoothly. The more weighted the fly, then as you reach the limits rod/yours the heavy fly starts to whip back and forth over your head. You loose the orderly transfer of energy and the fly starts slingshotting back and forth over your head. That is one way of looking at the limit because at that point your cast is getting out of control and you are putting knots in your line, hitting your rod with the fly, hooking yourself... all of those things that tell you you are at the complete wrong end of what a fly fishing loop is supposed to be doing. So, you can just false cast your streamer 20'. If you can just do this, casting back and forth, the stretch it out to 25', and so on. You will quickly find the limit of you or your rod.

O very cool! Great perspective to help in finding the rods capabilities

Consider the line:

While guiding I regularly have clients use a similar rod as yours. Small'ish, more normal sized streamers can make for some fantastic fish inventorying The line that shines brighter than all others is Sci Angler's SBT, a short headed, short bellied design. I highly recommend it.

Mastery SBT Fly Line | Scientific Anglers