Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  174
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Little tricks to share

Default Re: Little tricks to share

Quote Originally Posted by afishinado View Post
    Your rod sections should never be so tight that you need a gorilla grip to get it apart.
    Sometimes stuff happens. Even with paraffin my friends BIIx didn't want to come apart easily when he dropped it off of the roof of his car. It landed on the butt cap! It took some doing to get that thing apart for sure.
    Also it seems temperature changes can affect how tight the rod sections grip.
    Despite our best efforts it seems that during the course of a fishing year someones rod doesn't want to come easily apart.
    When that happens two folks with hands spread apart so each person has a grip on both sections the task is quite easy... easy that is unless the rod has been dropped butt first!

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I wax every time on my spey rod. I've also had the sections stick like glue when it gets colder. With the wax however, if you hold the ferrule in your hand tightly for less than a minute, the warmth from your hand will soften the wax and it comes apart easily. One way to get sections apart that are giving you a hard time is to put the rod behind you, right behind your knees. Using your hands against your knees, push your legs apart. It keeps you from pulling the sections in two different directions, which can damage the end of a ferrule. It also keeps the release from causing you to whip the ends in opposite directions at a great speed removing your pals eye.

Blog Entries

I have a 1994 Orvis PM 10 4pc 5wt that sometimes gives me trouble between section one (butt) and two. I found that sticking it under water, (cold water in the creek) loosened the ferrule and it will come apart effortlessly. Don't know why it works, it just does.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

I've seen many caddis patterns on the forum but I don't remember seeing a stone boxed one...so here's how to tie one easily.Tie a body with knitting wool and make a black head.Take your hook with pliers put some drops of superglue on the body and plunge it into a little box full of grit.Let it dry and finish you head with black hare dubbing or a peacock herl...that's all folks

Blog Entries

Outstanding JP!!

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

JP: So I finally get to see your famous stone boxed caddis pattern, what a great idea! Very well done.

Larry

Well I finally got my Peak Vise......WOW I love it......but on the material clip side...it was a bit far from the hook for my taste....so I found one of those metal paper clips....( the ones for holding a few sheets....) had to bend the arms a bit to stretch the spring...( Peak gives you two springs....I just used the other one ) then on each side of the wire arm I wound some yarn, held in position by super glue....works great !!!

Plus it's removable....
    if I'm not here...I'm on another line...with a fly on the end..

JP, very nice trick on your caddis...

Dan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flytyer_neal View Post
    Well I finally got my Peak Vise......WOW I love it......but on the material clip side...it was a bit far from the hook for my taste....so I found one of those metal paper clips....( the ones for holding a few sheets....) had to bend the arms a bit to stretch the spring...( Peak gives you two springs....I just used the other one ) then on each side of the wire arm I wound some yarn, held in position by super glue....works great !!!

Plus it's removable....
    Neal: Very cool idea, that is a real improvement!

Larry

Blog Entries

Here is a link to an article in Hatches by Mike Schmidt on how to tie a head on a wet fly that may be those of you that struggle with getting a perfectly shaped head.
    Wet Fly Heads by Mike Schmidt | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Larry

Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast