Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  174
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: Little tricks to share

Default Re: Little tricks to share

Quote Originally Posted by siege View Post
    I recently bought a new box for my prescription meds at a " big box " store's pharmacy, and grabbed an extra. Nice, strong, nylon box. They are about 2 1/2" x 5"' and about 3/4" deep, have 14 compartments, and sell for under a buck. Each little compartment has it's own lid, and is perfect for carrying dry flies. Fits easily in a small pocket, vest or chest pack, and keeps the flies from getting crushed.
    They can also be used at the tying bench for sorting and holding hooks, beads, etc.
    ... and they're already marked for which fly to use each Monday, Tuesday...

Good idea.

2. Default Re: Little tricks to share

Here's a little youtube tip to make tying the blood knot a lot faster. Summary: Use your thumb to keep the hole large, when you go to feed your tag ends through it will be very easy.
    [ame=http://youtu.be/qa7beYxATI8]How to Tie a Blood Knot for Fly fishing Trout and other Species - YouTube[/ame]

I use a springy phone cord on my net handle.
    It gives me the extension I need to stretch, but recoils to only a foot long when hung on my back.
    Can simply drop the net while handling the fish.
    I added an alligator clip to the cord for secure attachment between uses.

Been using little pieces of drinking straw when fly tying . I split the straw and slide it over the fly to help keep the hackle out of the way when tying the head and tying off. Im a noob and this helps me.
    Okiemountaineer

If you use a profile plate try using a cheap 8x10 picture frame instead of something that clamps on the vise stem. You can move it wherever you want, change color with just a piece of paper and it is large enough you can also put a piece of foam on it for your finished flies.

Quote Originally Posted by chechem View Post
    I use a springy phone cord on my net handle.
    It gives me the extension I need to stretch, but recoils to only a foot long when hung on my back.
    Can simply drop the net while handling the fish.
    I added an alligator clip to the cord for secure attachment between uses.
    Do you ever accidently answer your net when your cell phone rings?

Seriously, That's a great idea!
    Hand crafted wood fly boxes.

I was looking for something to keep my spare Korkers soles together in. Today I bought a bag in the wine section of the grocery store. Only cost a buck, nice breatheable material that dries fast. I also carry a pair of flip flops in my wader bag, and may buy another winebottle bag for them, too. It would help keep everything cleaner in there.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jbird View Post
    Do you ever accidently answer your net when your cell phone rings?

Seriously, That's a great idea!
    I wish I had said that. I can just picture someone holding a dripping net up next to their ear, with a puzzled look on their face
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

Quote Originally Posted by siege View Post
    I was looking for something to keep my spare Korkers soles together in. Today I bought a bag in the wine section of the grocery store. Only cost a buck, nice breatheable material that dries fast. I also carry a pair of flip flops in my wader bag, and may buy another winebottle bag for them, too. It would help keep everything cleaner in there.

---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:24 PM ----------

I wish I had said that. I can just picture someone holding a dripping net up next to their ear, with a puzzled look on their face

LOL

Maybe we should start a thread asking who carries a cell phone while fishing.
    Not me.
    And not because I have a phone-wired net!

Another one for tight ferrules but more on the spot fix. I have always rubbed the male ferrule in my hair, your hair has natural oils, and just rubbing the male end has always sufficed without the need of buying any waxes. (My hair is dry, but it still works.

TIP: I see some folks use tape of sorts on their handles. I have used Hockey stick tape on many things around the house, including portable tree stands with foam pipe insulation, same for my camera tripod in cold weather, and snow shovels... I think it would work well on your handles.. available at disks and such.

Default Leash Your Box!...

To the point, somehow be it a zip line, long bit of backing material or whatever, firm attach you fly cases/boxes to your fishing vest/bag/etc. with enough lead you can work with it. Forget floating & sinking boxes and so on, as one is just as bad as the other frankly for saving your flies (dependant upon where you are fishing).

A prime example being in a mere 3' of water i dropped an aluminum Perrine fly box with a number of great flies in the drink and besides meaning I'd have to fully submerge myself to fetch them, they had sunk lord knows where in the silt.....2 hours later and a lot of cursing, I figured I'd leave them for archaeologists to find in 4027.

So I became wiser, and began using floating fly boxes.....Now that's a great plan right up until the box that held flies i took a LOT of time to tie to look exactly like the real thing (yeah, pointless, yet was half the fun of tying them) dropped into the river.....

A half hour plus one twisted knee, a twisted ankle, soaking wet, hypothermia setting in and almost snapping a $500 fly rod (which no doubt will bust one day due to), I waved goodbye to my box of treasured flies as they sailed down the Pine river, through VanEtten lake and out to the AuSable. Onto Lake Huron, and no doubt have by now bobbed their way out to the Atlantic and over to Europe.

Floating is not the answer......Leash your box, that's the only way to be sure you control it.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
    ----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
    ---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.

Page 21 of 35 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast