Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  174
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Default Re: Little tricks to share

Quote Originally Posted by wjl View Post
    Do not know if it was mentioned.
    Measuring fish quick est. this was on 3 to 6 wt rods
    Did some measuring on several rods most handles are 10 inches butt to where cork meets rod and to the hook keeper is 11. 9 foot rod is about 28" per section.
    My 7' 6" rod reel section 24" , butt to end of cork 10 also.
    On the Winston models the brand marking seemed to be at 16"
    Was bored and I never seem to carry a measuring device and you always have a rod near by.
    I put dots on my rod with a paint marker every 2".
    Okiemountaineer

For labeling things such as bigger nets, bags, luggage, or any other thing needs a tag. I goto a pet store and choose from a variety of plastic, stainless steel, or brass and engrave information.
    I labeled my nomad net and attached the tag with double sided automotive tape. Water proof and secure.
    Wayne
    Can one learn everything about fly fishing a lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    Great thread!

Every year, everyone probably has one string of Christmas lights that no longer works. Don't throw it away. Inside is several years worth of copper wire for tying. I cut them into 6-8 inch lengths and strip all but the last bit of insulation to keep them in neat bundles.

spm
    This is a great idea, however, I have heard that fly tying wires have a coating applied to prevent oxidizing. In a humid environment, pure copper might turn green rather quickly. Just an observation!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cgrphoto View Post
    This is a great idea, however, I have heard that fly tying wires have a coating applied to prevent oxidizing. In a humid environment, pure copper might turn green rather quickly. Just an observation!

I have noticed any oxidizing to date.

spm

Quote Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
    I put dots on my rod with a paint marker every 2".
    I just saw this post as I was belatedly browsing the forums at half-random velocity. Years ago, I actually found a 24" adhesive backed pre-measured tape. Marked in eighths, IIRC, it's stuck on my one piece 6.5' MH casting rod.

Keep your eyes peeled, you might find something like this in a specialty craft store your lady drags you into, guys!

(Another forum I used to be on had a smiley available that was :idea:, and the icon was a light bulb, just a suggestion/comment for the board staff, if y'all happen to see it
    If you know who Curtis Loew was, we could probably be friends

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    I have noticed any oxidizing to date.

spm
    UPDATE:
    Fat-fingered that one. I meant to say I have NOT noticed any oxidizing to date.

spm

On floatants:

a) Allow Gink or other gels to dry thoroughly before putting the fly on the water. This takes a few minutes, but it's worth it.

b) Try using Gink first, allowing it to dry, and then treat the fly with Frog's Fanny. The fly will float like a cork.

c) No need to buy Frog's Fanny at $5-6 a pop. You can buy 60-odd bottles' worth of the same stuff on eBay for $25, and just fill the Frog's Fanny bottles with the handy little brush.

On waders and bladders:

I fish mostly small and medium-sized streams and even on the biggest ones, like the Housatonic, I rarely wear my wader suspenders over the shoulders.

Rather, I snap them together across my chest. This accomplishes two things - I don't wade out too far, and it is much, much easier to get at things when nature calls.

On ticks and other evil buggers:

I've had Lyme twice and erlichiosis once and I don't want to repeat the experience.

I bought a treated shirt, which works quite well at keeping bugs away. It was also quite expensive.

I found an 12-oz. ounce spray bottle of the same stuff used on the shirts, permethrin, on Amazon for $15. I tested it out on a couple of untreated cotton and nylon shirts, and it works just fine. Smells a little funky, but it's not like I'm going out to dinner or anything.

Here's another one, which I forgot to do this morning:

To keep your sunglasses from fogging up, soak them in warm water with a dab of dish detergent like Dawn or whatever. I use a plastic food storage container. Make sure the lenses are submerged. Takes 10 minutes, so I set it up in the kitchen sink while I load up the car. Of course, I have to remember to grab the sunglasses.

Today I forgot the whole thing, and sure enough, the glasses fogged up. I managed anyway.

I salvage the little silicone or soft plastic grip from the bottom section of click type ball point pens.
    They can be used on most kinds of nippers, to make the grip more comfortable and less slippery. As an added benefit, they can help cut the glare from shiny clippers.
    " I'm just a cook " Casey Ryback, Under Siege

10. Likes r reese liked this post

Nothing directly to do with fishing, but if you want to type the degree symbol in a post - , just hold the 'alt' key and type 2-4-8 on the numeric keypad.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast