Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  284
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Little tricks to share

I just caught myself doing this and realized it could be useful. I tie with unwaxed thread but when I need to apply some tacky wax to the thread for dubbing, I apply it with a toothpick. Beats getting it all over your fingers.

Denny

2. Likes mcnerney, hunter1, cpiercem liked this post

A guide showed me what he uses for drying flys. Something very simple and is great at absorbing water. A folded paper towel.

4. Likes Ard, cpiercem, mcnerney liked this post
  5. Default Re: Little tricks to share

tooth pick for dubbing wax application works great!

6. Likes dennyk, mcnerney liked this post

Redundancy, aka extra stuff.

For example:

I use regular fingernail clippers for nippers. I buy three or four at a time, and keep a spare handy.

Or tippet. I keep a couple extra spools of whatever I use most on my person.

I also keep backup stuff in the car. Boots, socks, layers of clothing if it's cold and/or wet.

Batteries.

You get the idea.

8. Likes mcnerney liked this post

I wrap sports tape around the handles of my nail clippers to improve grip. I started doing that for nippers and clippers when fishing those dry-skin days out west. Now all of the clippers, forceps, and other metal tools in our house have sports tape on them.

10. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by chechem View Post
    I wrap sports tape around the handles of my nail clippers to improve grip. I started doing that for nippers and clippers when fishing those dry-skin days out west. Now all of the clippers, forceps, and other metal tools in our house have sports tape on them.
    Ha me too.

12. Default Re: Little tricks to share

great idea gonna buy sports tape

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    Encouraged by Hardyreels to do it,I’ve decided to start a new thread to share some of my tricks with you ,maybe most of them will help beginners ,maybe some of you will find a good idea to solve a little problem…before I start don’t blame me if my explanations are not always as clear as you expected for French is my native tongue.
    1 You’ve got a rod whose ferule is worn out or your tip or a piece of your 4 or3p rod which works loose or goes off when you fish.Just take a candle and rub your rod with it,easy,cheap and it works as well on carbon and metal.
    to be continued….if you find that useful
    So here's one I learned from my dad when I was about 6 or 7 years old (let's just say that I'm over 60 years of age now). I must be careful here, so let's just say that he was 2nd generation whose parents came to US from a country on the Mediterranean and his skin was a bit oily. And now the tip .... every now and then, if having difficulty putting pieces of a rod together, and you are of similar heritage, run your index finger along side of your nose to pick up some "lubricant" and apply it to the rod. Works every time!!!

14. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  15. Default Re: Little tricks to share

Quote Originally Posted by jc10 View Post
    So here's one I learned from my dad when I was about 6 or 7 years old (let's just say that I'm over 60 years of age now). I must be careful here, so let's just say that he was 2nd generation whose parents came to US from a country on the Mediterranean and his skin was a bit oily. And now the tip .... every now and then, if having difficulty putting pieces of a rod together, and you are of similar heritage, run your index finger along side of your nose to pick up some "lubricant" and apply it to the rod. Works every time!!!
    Another little secret... You can do the same thing, stir your beer with your finger and it will quickly get rid of the foam on top.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

A simple way to dry your fly off..... stick the soaked fly in a rubber band and give it a pluck.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

17. Likes karstopo, mcnerney liked this post
Page 39 of 41 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 LastLast