The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  143
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 06-30-2017, 02:28 PM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: I am on the verge of quitting

About 1/2 of my fishing education was self inflicted....
That includes a tremendous amount of failure....and tangles...and broken rods....and severely bruised fishing ego. And thousands of hours......
The other half, has been old guys sitting and watching the water.....
who shared a tip....
You can learn this all on your own, but it would take two lifetimes......
We all wish you luck on your journey.
But I should add....fly fishing isn't really about luck.......
It's about knowing what the menu is, knowing fish behavior, and how to present the offering in such a way, that fish are amenable to eating.....simple...

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 06-30-2017 at 02:47 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes karstopo liked this post
Old 08-08-2017, 11:41 AM

wee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of light

I feel your pain , Brother!
I have been at this near 1/2 my life. I can fairly regularly throw a whole flyline with a heavy streamer but I can't roll cast 30'. Never could. Likely never will My solution (although an admittedly lax one) was to stick to open water fishing with plenty of room to back cast.

Tight Lines and DON"T EVER GIVE UP.

Last edited by wee hooker; 08-08-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:27 PM

barham has a spectacular aura aboutbarham has a spectacular aura aboutbarham has a spectacular aura about

I can relate to your frustration. I came from a golfing family and starting lessons when I was 7. I was a pretty good golfer but never really enjoyed the sport as I always frustrated with my game and the time it took me to play. Consequently I quit thirty years ago and never looked back.
As far as fly fishing is concerned, I am not a great caster or fisherman but I enjoy it and have fun. If I did not, I would quit and do something else.
I bet if you would just relax and keep all this in proper perspective, you would find it easier.
So much for my advice.
barham
Old 08-09-2017, 03:17 PM

fishing hobo is on a distinguished road

Problem is, for me, casting is more than half of the fun of fly fishing so I rather have a day when I cast well and catch no fish to catching fish but getting very frustrated with my casts.... Fly fishing is far more enjoyable when you can cast well.
Old 08-09-2017, 03:45 PM

madison320 is on a distinguished road

When I first tried roll casting the line would just puddle up in front of me. Most of the videos I watched described a hatchet type downward chopping motion. That didn't work for me, what worked was more of a horizontal motion where the rod tip travels horizontal to the ground. The hatchet chop, at least for me, creates more of a vertical path of the rod tip and that's why the line was not going forward, it was following the path of the rod tip downward.

Maybe the vertical chop works for longer rods with heavier line, I mostly use a 7'6" 3wt.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:31 PM

fenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nice

I've been really crappy lately and pretty frustrated. The last 3 outings on my home water was not able to catch a fish. Had bites but was not able to reel any in. Today was the by far the worst though, prime water but no fish, not even a tug. Time to reevaluate my life.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:53 PM

tcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond reputetcorfey has a reputation beyond repute

Fenix84, don't give in that easy. Sometimes you go through a slump, even pro-ball players do that, but they don't give up.

I can remember one especially frustrating day where the trout were leaving the water and jumping over my dry fly to get at the real bugs that were flying through the air. They were clearing the water by two-three feet sometimes and the pool I was working was no more than 15-20 feet across and 30-40 feet long. It was a very frustrating time, changing flies and using all my flies that I thought matched the real ones or worked on that water before. I left the pool with the trout still jumping. You just never know...

Yesterday, I was fishing a river that normally has one to two fish in each hole but the river was running kind of high, the weather was hot with bright sun, and there were no hatches and sporadic wind. I spied some big black ants, a couple of house flies and some other dark bodied stonefly nymphs when I lifted some rocks. I worked my way down through pocket water as I hiked a couple of miles in to the canyon. I started out fishing dark weighted nymphs on the bottom but, after two miles and lots of fishing/ changing weights, changing flies and changing fly sizes I had only one small trout to hand. I switched to dark lightly weighted soft hackles and still nothing going. Now I started back to the car, I put on a size 22 emerger and still nothing but I did get a couple trout rush up to look at it and I missed two takes and on the second take the fly went over my head and high in to a tree never to be seen again. I decided what the heck I may as well do something weird and put on a size 14 Royal Coachman dry with a bushy white post so I could see it in the fast water. I immediately started catching fish! As I worked my way back up I caught one fish in almost each hole where I was skunked before, I was laughing about how absurd it was. But it just shows you when all else fails try something that you think shouldn't work and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Regards,

Tim C.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes hairwing530, fenix84 liked this post
Old 08-10-2017, 12:58 PM

fenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nice

I decided i ll go fish an easier river to help with my confidence. Thanks for the pep talk.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:31 PM

just4grins is on a distinguished road

Zarick, one thing that needs to be fixed is your backcast. You are not stopping the backcast so it can open the loop and load the rod. On your backcast make the rod more vertical and at a 1:00 o'clock position stop the backcast and slightly push the rod straight up about a foot at the same time. This will accelerate line speed and open the loop, then make your forward cast. Think of this as tapping the brakes on the backcast, momentary stop and resume to complete the cast forward and then stop the forward cast at 10:00. You are casting your line more like whipping a horse, no hesitation to build line speed. Start with a shorter line and build to a longer cast later. Get the shorter cast built first and feel it. You may have too much action in the wrist, but slow the whole cast down first. There are more pieces but get the loop open first.