The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  47
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 12-12-2016, 04:37 PM

madison320 is on a distinguished road
Default How to switch between czech nymphing and dries.

I've been thinking about getting a czech nymphing rod for the small mountain trout streams I fish. Specifically the Cortland 9' 6" 2wt competition rod. My idea is to switch between czech nymphing and dry/dropper depending on which is working. I've read some reviews and they all say the rod also works well with dries. So I called a fly shop that sells them (blue quill angler) and asked them how to rig it so I can switch back and forth. He made it sound like it's should be dedicated to czech nymphing only so I'm a little confused. Has anyone tried this, switching between czech nymphing and dries? I'm not about to carry 2 fly rods when I'm hiking up a little stream.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:52 PM

guest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to all
Default Re: How to switch between czech nymphing and dries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison320 View Post
I've been thinking about getting a czech nymphing rod for the small mountain trout streams I fish. Specifically the Cortland 9' 6" 2wt competition rod. My idea is to switch between czech nymphing and dry/dropper depending on which is working. I've read some reviews and they all say the rod also works well with dries. So I called a fly shop that sells them (blue quill angler) and asked them how to rig it so I can switch back and forth. He made it sound like it's should be dedicated to czech nymphing only so I'm a little confused. Has anyone tried this, switching between czech nymphing and dries? I'm not about to carry 2 fly rods when I'm hiking up a little stream.
I have a loop in the end of my fly line (whip my own if needed). Then use the loop to loop to switch leaders on stream. I carry on tightline nymph leader with sighter, a dry fly leader, and a stouter streamer leader.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes madison320, don_p, nevadanstig, mcnerney liked this post
Old 12-12-2016, 04:58 PM

madison320 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstoeckel View Post
I have a loop in the end of my fly line (whip my own if needed). Then use the loop to loop to switch leaders on stream. I carry on tightline nymph leader with sighter, a dry fly leader, and a stouter streamer leader.
That's what I was thinking. Is your nymph leader really long so there's no fly line outside the spool?
Old 12-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond reputeCutThroat Leaders has a reputation beyond repute

A simple change of the leader. (loop 2 loop) does not take much time. I assume you have floating line on. When Czech nymphing in small stream, you will not have much fly out out. Then when you are ready to toss some dries, simply change out the leader to a dry fly leader, tie on a fly and start hooking fish ontop.

The guy at the shop might have said what he did, because your long soft rod is great for Czech nymphing, but might not be so good for casting dries in a small stream environment because of the length of rod. (9‘-6”) is a lot of rod length to deal with in a small stream. That’s my guess.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

I forgot to mention,

Another thing I do often is take one rod and two reels. You can often up line or downline a rod depending what you are doing. I will often pack a 5wt rod & reel for throwing dries with a dry fly leader and then have an extra reel or spool with 6 wt line and a heavy streamer leader on it.

This way, one rod I can fish both small dry’s and nymphs as well as big streamers with same rod. I too do lots of back country fishing and hate the idea of packing two rods. Just a thought.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Blog: http://furledleader.blogspot.com/
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 12-12-2016, 07:31 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Use a tippet ring on the end of a base leader and loop to loop connect the terminal leader design or tippet set up to the tippet ring.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fictitious, don_p, mcnerney liked this post
Old 12-12-2016, 08:27 PM

jayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant future

Quote:
Defining small mountain stream is a bit subjective, but in my mind, a 9'6" rod throwing dries might be a bit difficult, at least what I fish and define as small mountain stream. The other thing that would concern me a bit is going with a 2 weight and throwing a dry/dropper combo as you say. The least little bit of wind and making sure you keep those dry/droppers pretty small is going to put a handicap on you in my opinion.

I would at least go to a 3 weight and possibly shorten the rod to 9' maybe even 8'6" so as to be able to do both.
Likes mcnerney, slowdown liked this post
Old 12-12-2016, 09:00 PM

guest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to allguest64 is a name known to all

Quote:
That's what I was thinking. Is your nymph leader really long so there's no fly line outside the spool?
Actually I have two nymph leaders. One with a long butt section (about 15'), sighter and long tippet. The long butt leader can be a bit cumbersome to cast, so I also have shorter, about 10', nymph leader with sighter and long tippet. I use one or the other depending on conditions.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 12-12-2016, 10:47 PM

nevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond repute

I use a braided loop on my fly line, loops at end of leaders. I also keep a few various leaders ready to go in my vest, that is rigged with tippet rings and tippet. That way, when it's time to change leaders, all I do is clip off the fly, remove leader, put on new leader, tie on new fly. With the loop to loop connection, it's super quick and easy. Honestly it probably takes me longer to tie on the actual fly than switch a leader.

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 12-12-2016, 11:45 PM

mlob1one is a jewel in the roughmlob1one is a jewel in the roughmlob1one is a jewel in the rough

I'd say this is the perfect opportunity to try moving over to the dark side... tenkara. 😈

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes patrick62, mcnerney, beignet liked this post
Old 12-13-2016, 08:52 AM

stenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond reputestenacron has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

...small mountain trout streams...
Fished many times on these types of waters (still do)... before creative marketing brought us "Czech style" nymphing anglers would fish nymphs exactly the same way. For your waters, just leave out the 1/2 oz of lead beneath the fly body.

You can use the exact same rod/leader that you are using for dry flies, wet flies, etc. Wade cautiously, fish a short line, and watch the leader near the closest point where it enters the water.

Also, give some thought to soft-hackled flies. Small streams are perfect for this type of fishing.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes madison320, Bigfly, mcnerney, wf0, slowdown liked this post