The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Fishing How To's Discussions on how to improve your fly fishing knowledge

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  39
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-24-2017, 11:21 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do You Nymph Fish Using a Thingamabobber?

Here are a couple tricks for those fly fishermen that like the Thingamabobber for nymph fishing, but hate how it kinks your leader and the adjustably:

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fredaevans, ejsell, stenacron liked this post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:25 AM

nevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond reputenevadanstig has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Nymph Fish Using a Thingamabobber?

I used to use them, have switched to airlocks. Much easier, no kink, and for some reason they seem to fly better.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ejsell, fenix84, photoguy, troutbum_74 liked this post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:28 AM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

All you have to do is straighten the leader....just like your dry fly leader....
I don't recommend using a leader straightener...I prefer to feel how much heat I'm applying. If you use the "bobber stops" and no kinky.....

Jim

Bigfly
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes stenacron liked this post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:29 AM
Do You Nymph Fish Using a Thingamabobber?

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Don't even think about these with a 2hander. These are a single hander 'chuck and duck' but they work.

fae
Likes kayo liked this post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:38 AM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute

Fred, if you come down this way I'll show you how a big stick works with the bobber thing.
Works like a charm......with some practice. A 15ft leader and 4-5 AAAs suck on a short stick.
Industrial nymphing is what I call it......taking the game to the fish.
The best part for me, is fishing water that most can't.....and touching fish that don't see as much contact.

Jim

Bigfly
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, fredaevans, markfrid liked this post
Old 05-24-2017, 11:42 AM

bloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud ofbloomagoo has much to be proud of

Yes, I use them but not all the time. On the stream or river I am constantly changing up my game between indicators, tight line, and swinging soft hackles and streamers. I prefer Thingamabobbers to Airlocks because I don't have to worry about losing the screw top during one of my many changeups.
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 05-24-2017, 12:18 PM

I keep the kink, until I reset my bobber though...lets me measure accurately on depth changes.....the closer I get to the bottom, the smaller my adjustment.
"Sneaking up on the bottom."
I find all the colors helpful for clients...we don't all see the same colors or in the different lights..
The all-black ones work well in glare....and all the different sizes play a role in a perfect drift. I use the extrsmall for near zero wt or a single bead head...
all the way up to a "drift buoy" when fishing 5 AAAs on big water.
I've grown to loath the pegging the bobber though...just seemed another issue to me. And I have enough of those!!

The airlock work well too, but in smaller quiet water they land a little harder as they have more mass. Not a problem in big noisy water...

And Bloo...the trick for me, was to carry matching rods....one set for the swing, and the other set-up to indy/dry. Less rigging and more fishin'

Jim
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 05-24-2017, 12:59 PM

luj333 is on a distinguished road

I use the new zealand wool strike indicators. But i'd prefer czech nymping any day to a strike indicator when possible.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:26 PM

madison320 is on a distinguished road

I tried the uni knot with the fly line but it didn't hold on a tapered leader. It gets stretched out on the fat part of the leader and then slips on the thin part. I just started trying this stretchy cord for making bracelets and it seems to work with the uni knot. I've gone about 4 times with the same rig and it's still holding. That thingamastopper might work though.

https://www.amazon.com/Stretch-Magic...+stretch+magic

Also I've been using round indicators that come with a rubber band. I use the uni stopper on either side of the float. I think it handles a little better than the thingamabobber because it's centered on the line. Also you can use it as it's designed with the rubber band and I think that works better than the thingamabobber, it holds better.

W.R. Ball
Indicator System : Cabela's

I tried the airlock but it was too heavy for me. And too easy to lose that screw.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:08 PM

mtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nicemtboiler is just really nice

I use thingamabobbers all the time....but I rig it differently.
I take a braces rubber band, and push it through the hole and then a simple over under wrap...or loop through one end.
To put in on the line, three times through the loop and you are good to go. It adjusts easily and leaves no kinks. Plus, it never slips. Both my kids had braces and the rubber bands are really durable and cheap.
Here, found a video....
https://www.joeshaferflyfishing.com/...indicator-rig/
Likes Bigfly, clouserguyky, madison320 liked this post