Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  19
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 08-16-2017, 05:38 PM

gpwhitejr will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tips for small stream bluegill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkirkpa View Post
Bluegill will take almost anything that even vaguely looks like food. They are a blast to catch and put up a pretty good struggle on a light rod, too.
Yeah, I am trying to catch bass (little 4-weight with a foam spider) and the larger bluegills fight pretty much as hard. When I use a 6-weight with a big popper they attack it but they can't eat it.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:31 AM

philly is a jewel in the roughphilly is a jewel in the roughphilly is a jewel in the roughphilly is a jewel in the rough

I like poppers, sliders, spiders. I'll tie a soft hackle or spider, size 10 on as a dropper at times. They also like mop flies. The only thing different I do is fish larger flies. Size 8 and 6 for the top water bugs, sometimes I will drop down to a size 10 but not often.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:00 AM

madison320 is on a distinguished road

Do you normally fish upstream or downstream?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 AM

sjkirkpa will become famous soon enough

Just get the fly in the water. Bluegill don't care about clean drifts etc... upstream, downstream, across stream.... doesn't matter.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:51 PM

wee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of lightwee hooker is a glorious beacon of light

Small gill will nail anything. Bigger "bumpheads" can be a bit more selective though. That's how they get big.

Bluegill fishing isn't overly hard but it doesn't mean that you shouldn't apply the same thought processes to it that you would for other species.
Think of what they are going to be eating in that flow...

That said, for the top, I like foam smallish indestructible bugs (foam spider of W.G. Tapply fame) in natural colors. I tie em on #10 dy fly hooks in green, brown, tan and black with short rubber legs and a tuft of marabou for a tail. (BTW, I've caught BIG) bass on these. Other terrestrial patterns like hoppers, crickets etc can bring them up too.

I say "bring them up" because the bigger gills will be deep and or hidden. For these I like weighted bully bluegill spiders, woolly buggers and nymphs that match forage in the area.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fr8dog, fq13 liked this post
Old 08-19-2017, 03:20 AM

fq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud offq13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
"Swingin' soft hackles!

Basic flies,. So easy to tie.
Partridge and orange, partridge and green, partridge and peacock...

You couldn't make a better choice.
Rip Tide is right.
If you have good current flow soft hackles are the way to go. If you tie, free for nothing on Amazon is a book called Year of the Spider. It's about trout fishing with hundred year old Yorkshire soft hackles. News flash. They work great on trout and pan fish and are easy to tie. It's colored floss and a couple of turns of soft hackle.
On a similar note there is the "briminator". It's my favorite fly just because it's so easy to tie it shouldn't be allowed. Honestly, it just takes one feather and a bead (two or three bits of gold tinsel if you want to go all Hollywood).
Here is the recipe for bluegill.
#10 long shank (2x) streamer hook, or any old hook. I tie these on an old box of Aberdeen hooks and sundry dry fly hooks and they work fine.
One Partridge feather
One gold bead
Two strands of gold tinsel
That's it.

Put the gold bead on at the eye end of the hook.I

Take the fluff from one side of the feather and then tie it in as a tail, like on a wooly bugger and add the tinsel.

Wax your thread, then take the fluff from the other side of the feather and twist it to make loose dubbing and wrap it to make the body. The sloppier the better.

Then trim the stem from the feather and wet the hackle. Tie it in point backwards. Take two or three loose turns to make a sparse wing pointing backwards.

Done!

You can tie it quicker than I can type this.

It's the buggiest looking fly going, and works well on trout as well as gills. Just let it drift and rise at the end. In still water work it with a slow retrieve and a twitch to flair the hackle. The Briminator lives up to its name.

Last edited by fq13; 08-19-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:28 PM

s fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond reputes fontinalis has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

anthing foam or leggy, cast under a tree or overhang, be ready to strike within 3 seconds of it hitting the water.

two fly rig - foam floater, pheasant tail or other nymph under.

Either way, you're looking for cover to land your flies or to entice out the big guys from cover in deeper water.

Addicted To Vise
Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 AM

madison320 is on a distinguished road

I started having better luck the last few days by focusing on topwater stuff. I was mostly using subsurface stuff before (nymphs, wooly buggers) although I haven't tried the soft hackles yet.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:35 AM

wf0 has a spectacular aura aboutwf0 has a spectacular aura about

Woolly buggers #10-14, panfish poppers #10-12, mini rubber-legged gurglers (#10), and mini-clousers #10-12, and lastly, briminators #10-14 are my go to patterns in the spring, summer, fall, with various #14-18 BH nymphs and soft hackles in the winter (when they are deeper, sluggish, and picky). Cooler and wetter weather will usually shut down a top-water bite. I love it when they get in a peckish mood, and all they will do is nibble the ends of the rubber legs or hackle barbs the ol' "try before you buy".
Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM

patrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to beholdpatrick62 is a splendid one to behold

Get yourself a shortish Tenkara rod, a spool of tippet and a box of nymphs and wets chosen at random, and have at it.

I have caught more bluegill this year in the Housatonic than in the lake where I fish for largemouth. I tink of them as "Bluegilligan," and always say "Just take it easy there little buddy" as I unhook them.