Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Knot to join fly line & backing

Blog Entries

Default Re: Best Knot to join fly line & backing

Lighter rigs - Nail Knot mostly, sometimes loop to loop
    Heavy rigs - Loop to loop connection - braided or factory loop to a doubled over Triple Surgeon's Loop or a Bimini

Albright is a great knot but unnecessarily bulky (doubled fly line) for backing knot. Nail, especially multi-turn like 12, is better. If you coat it with a drop of Zap-A-Gap and wick off any excess, it is failure proof (wont strip coating off core). For those, like me, who will switch lines, I recommend nail-knotting a several yard hank of colored Dacron to the rear of the line and tying a Bimini in its other end. A corresponding Bimini is then tied in the differing color reel loaded Dacron so the line can be looped on and off as described by a contributor above. Alternative lines each have their own nail/Bimini rigging for easy looping on and off. If using a line with a rear welded loop, tie an extra-long Bimini loop and double it strand by folding the loop and triple surgeon knotting it. This double stranded loop mates belter with the thicker fly line loop.

3. Default Re: Best Knot to join fly line & backing

I've used the nailknot for decades, never had one break off and that includes many fish that took me deep into the backing.

All good advise (except for the surgons knot). The Albright is strong and easy to tie with no tools reqired. The nail knot (a midge bobbin mentioned above is right on; a swizzle straw works in a pinch) is slimmer and if 10 to 15 turns are executed sans overlap, very strong too. If there is no factory loop on the rear of the fly line, try nail knoting several yards of backing (I like an alternate color to the standing backing) and twist a Bimini in both backings. Easy to change lines as mentioned above, strong and no bulk going through the guides, this works very well with both sweet and salt outfits.

Note: The same sort of set-up can be made with long spliced loops; I just prefere tying knots as all anglers worth their salt (or sweet) should take pride in thier knot tying virtuosity.

Nail knot or loop to loop (using a perfection loop or bowline in the backing).
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    All good advise (except for the surgons knot). The Albright is strong and easy to tie with no tools reqired. The nail knot (a midge bobbin mentioned above is right on; a swizzle straw works in a pinch) is slimmer and if 10 to 15 turns are executed sans overlap, very strong too. If there is no factory loop on the rear of the fly line, try nail knoting several yards of backing (I like an alternate color to the standing backing) and twist a Bimini in both backings. Easy to change lines as mentioned above, strong and no bulk going through the guides, this works very well with both sweet and salt outfits.

Note: The same sort of set-up can be made with long spliced loops; I just prefere tying knots as all anglers worth their salt (or sweet) should take pride in thier knot tying virtuosity.
    I like the Nail on lines without rear loops. I like Bimini on those with rear loops. I like throwing a girth hitch on this connection to keep the rear loop pinched down and smooth.

---
    I am here: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.222579,-85.711200"]Google Maps[/ame]

7. Default Re: Best Knot to join fly line & backing

Loop to loop connections for me.

All I fish is 8wt (largemouth & stripers) & 9wt (stripers) rods. I blind splice the backing forming a loop large enough to pass the fly line spool through. I've been fortunate enough to be in the backing a few times. No issues at all.

The nail knot is the one I started with back in the 70's and it's always worked great for me.

Blog Entries

nail knot here as well.
    never any problems.

ARFE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12