Best Knot to join fly line & backing

chicagojohn

Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback on the best knot to use for connecting backing to the end of fly line on a trout / bass setup. Any suggestions?

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I'm looking for feedback on the best knot to use for connecting backing to the end of fly line on a trout / bass setup. Any suggestions?
I use a very long loop to attach the backing to the flyline. Big enough to pass the plastic spool the line came on through. It makes changing out my flylines easier. I can wind the flyline back onto the spool it came on and to a loop to loop spool and all.

Reactions: Ard

russellb

Reaction score
I still like the nail knot for backing to fly line. Same for mono end loops on the front end where not already provided. I find that the best nail knot tool is a unflaired thread bobbin, it really works great.

popperfly

Reaction score
Nail knot is good connecting knot but I perfer using a triple surgeon knot. I also use the same knot when stepping down tippet line from let's say 6lb to 4lb.

gt05254

Reaction score
Add me to the Albright knot fan club. Never failed me, and it has gone out through the guides many times.
Gary

imxer

Reaction score
I use a very long loop to attach the backing to the flyline. Big enough to pass the plastic spool the line came on through. It makes changing out my flylines easier. I can wind the flyline back onto the spool it came on and to a loop to loop spool and all.
-------------------
sc

Your system makes sense, planning to use it.:thumbsupu My backing is currently attached to the running line with a nail knot. Have thought about cutting the backing about 12-18 inches from from the running line and tying a perfection loop in both ends to make a loop to loop attachment. Have you tried using backing for both loops? If so, any problems getting them apart when wet etc? Thanks
imxer

Last edited:

nerka

Reaction score
I am a nail knot fan. When fishing for Kings on the 10wt, I actually tie three of them close together. When the tag ends are trimmed tightly there is no issue of the knots snagging on rod guides.

L

Liphookedau

I mainly use Both The Nail Knot & the Albright Knot,I find the Albright is the quicker of the two to tie.
Brian.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Lighter rigs - Nail Knot mostly, sometimes loop to loop
Heavy rigs - Loop to loop connection - braided or factory loop to a doubled over Triple Surgeon's Loop or a Bimini

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Albright is a great knot but unnecessarily bulky (doubled fly line) for backing knot. Nail, especially multi-turn like 12, is better. If you coat it with a drop of Zap-A-Gap and wick off any excess, it is failure proof (wont strip coating off core). For those, like me, who will switch lines, I recommend nail-knotting a several yard hank of colored Dacron to the rear of the line and tying a Bimini in its other end. A corresponding Bimini is then tied in the differing color reel loaded Dacron so the line can be looped on and off as described by a contributor above. Alternative lines each have their own nail/Bimini rigging for easy looping on and off. If using a line with a rear welded loop, tie an extra-long Bimini loop and double it strand by folding the loop and triple surgeon knotting it. This double stranded loop mates belter with the thicker fly line loop.

sartana

Reaction score
I've used the nailknot for decades, never had one break off and that includes many fish that took me deep into the backing.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
All good advise (except for the surgons knot). The Albright is strong and easy to tie with no tools reqired. The nail knot (a midge bobbin mentioned above is right on; a swizzle straw works in a pinch) is slimmer and if 10 to 15 turns are executed sans overlap, very strong too. If there is no factory loop on the rear of the fly line, try nail knoting several yards of backing (I like an alternate color to the standing backing) and twist a Bimini in both backings. Easy to change lines as mentioned above, strong and no bulk going through the guides, this works very well with both sweet and salt outfits.

Note: The same sort of set-up can be made with long spliced loops; I just prefere tying knots as all anglers worth their salt (or sweet) should take pride in thier knot tying virtuosity.

ddombos2

Reaction score
All good advise (except for the surgons knot). The Albright is strong and easy to tie with no tools reqired. The nail knot (a midge bobbin mentioned above is right on; a swizzle straw works in a pinch) is slimmer and if 10 to 15 turns are executed sans overlap, very strong too. If there is no factory loop on the rear of the fly line, try nail knoting several yards of backing (I like an alternate color to the standing backing) and twist a Bimini in both backings. Easy to change lines as mentioned above, strong and no bulk going through the guides, this works very well with both sweet and salt outfits.

Note: The same sort of set-up can be made with long spliced loops; I just prefere tying knots as all anglers worth their salt (or sweet) should take pride in thier knot tying virtuosity.
I like the Nail on lines without rear loops. I like Bimini on those with rear loops. I like throwing a girth hitch on this connection to keep the rear loop pinched down and smooth.

---
I am here: [ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.222579,-85.711200"]Google Maps[/ame]

civicrr

Reaction score
Loop to loop connections for me.

All I fish is 8wt (largemouth & stripers) & 9wt (stripers) rods. I blind splice the backing forming a loop large enough to pass the fly line spool through. I've been fortunate enough to be in the backing a few times. No issues at all.:)