Preferred knot for Gel Spun backing to loop on flyline?

racine

Reaction score
I'll post this question here. It's for heavy freshwater/light saltwater application. What would be the ideal loop knot to use for gel spun backing to attach to a looped fly line? Given Gel Spun's capacity to cut through flylines, should I double it up and tie a surgeons, non slip or bimini twist? I'd appreciate any tips, thanks.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
If I were worried about it cutting the welded loop I would consider a couple remedies. 1: Cut off the vinyl loop and install a braided loop then use a couple nail knots to secure it. 2: if I really did not want to cut the loop off I would put one of my little braided connectors between the welded loop and the backing. If I went that way I would double the gel spun as you describe. If you are wondering what is 'my braided connector' look in here http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ded-connector-your-welded-loop-spey-line.html

Some of the guys who have this down to a science will find this thread and help you if those 2 choices don't suit.

Ard

mbphotos54

Reaction score
this is what I did, under bps fly shop advise for my gelspun. and a friends rig who is going after bonefish soon.

step 1 the backing was tied in to a bimini twist loop about a foot open.

step 2 the backing loop was then tied into an albright knot at the endof the loop on the flyline. this gives it a super smooth feed. the ablity to undo the loop is unknown, we did this due to the thin gelspun backing to avoid cutting into the flyline.

hope this helps.. I could get a photo if you like. might be a few days however.