Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up New Knot - Give this a try

I have found a new knot for tippet to fly. It's called Jacks' Knot. I fist saw it mention of this in Fly Fisherman mag. I did a Google search and found it. It claims to 100% breaking strength and easy to tie. Easier the the Clinch or Improved Clinch and stronger. After about 20 practice ties using Jacks Knot I agree, it's easy and stronger, in fact I didn't have the knot fail or break a single time. All breaks were mid-line. I tried it from 4x-7x with same results. So before you diss it give it a try.

Below are a couple vids links to get you started.

[ame=http://vimeo.com/49328811]Jack's Knot - line to hook knot used primarily to tie tippet to a hook for fishing. on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FArM6tL5FU]Jack's Knot: Tippet to Hook - YouTube[/ame]

2. Likes kayo, N/A, fredaevans, brucerducer liked this post
    turbineblade Guest

Default Re: New Knot - Give this a try

Hey, we have the same avatar -- so the question is who is the bigger Caps fan I guess .

Cool knot too.

Blog Entries

The guy who developed this knot works at the Bass Pro in Clarksville, Indiana. When my fiancee lived in Louisville I used to go in there to pick up fly tying materials once the Louisville fly shop closed. I still have a hand-drawn diagram of that knot, but always forget to try it out on the stream.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Its hard to say, just hoping that there will even be a season this year. If we have a season PM me and maybe hit a game sometime.

As for the knot this is the first ever I have seen that actually does what it says. Give it a try.

turbineblade Guest

As for the knot this is the first ever I have seen that actually does what it says. Give it a try.
    Are you trying to say that the knot "jacks" you when you tie it? If so - let us know beforehand so we can put our wallet in a safe place.

Season is done as far as I'm concerned -- they might as well just announce it and be done with it. I really miss watching hockey, but I'm getting used to other activities....like sitting on the couch in the exact same position, thinking about hockey even though it's not on . With this and fly fishing, I lead a really, really ambitious lifestyle .

It is a variation of the "figure 8" knot. You need quite a bit of tippet to manage to tie this knot and the tag is not adjustable.
    I'll stick to the two turn/improved "Davy" knot. All I need to tie the "Davy" knot is 3 inches of dropper/tippet, and I can adjust the tag to be less than a half inch.
    It is a good knot to know though!

8. Likes horseman_37601 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by alexs View Post
    It is a variation of the "figure 8" knot. You need quite a bit of tippet to manage to tie this knot and the tag is not adjustable.

It is a good knot to know though!
    That was my take too.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

A few thoughts.

1. After a number of practice ties I'm getting the tag end much smaller.
    2. In all of my attemps the tippet/line always breaks before the knot fails, I'll sacrifice a little bit of tippet for the security of the knot.
    3. Having being a convert to furled leaders mono leaders are history, I only attach a single piece of tippet to the leader.

That said I'll try this Davey & Figure 8 knot.

Pretty cool knot. I like it better than the old clinch knot.

C-A-P-S!!!! CAPS, CAPS, CAPS!!!! Don't have the avatar, but still a caps fan.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

turbineblade Guest

I use this "fish killer" knot about 90% of the time. It is extremely strong and reliable, and takes about 10 seconds for me to tie.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceKP_1FwPCA]Best fishing knots tied easily - YouTube[/ame]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast