How to attach backing to fly line: Best knot??

T

turbineblade

Yeah do a search -- this question comes up almost daily on the forum.

I HATE nail knots and think they are, by simple mechanics, an inferior knot that shouldn't be used. I prefer a castwell knot or an albright knot instead. IME both are more secure than a nail knot.

rockriver

Reaction score
Did the fly line come with a loop on both ends? If it did, I use a perfection loop in the backing to attach it. If the fly line didn't have a loop, nail knots have always worked for me.

brian miville

Reaction score
I ran a search on the net recently since the Airflo line I had just got in had welded loops on BOTH ends. Turns out, after my research, that the Albright was a great one to use. So that is the one I went with. Pretty easy to tie and should be rock solid.

dabluz

Reaction score
I just bought 2 new fly lines. I also changed some fly lines from one reel to another and I used Albright knots even though some of the fly lines had welded loops.

I always used nail knots but I didn't trust this knot....especially for my 9 weight line for salmon, pike etc.

I was surprised at how slim an Albright knot really is.

I even used an Albright knot to tie flat shooting mono back line to a fly line. However, I had to make at least 10 wraps because anything under 8 wraps.....the mono would slip.

Last edited:

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I recomend the Bimini Loop method as described in the Bimini thread, however, booth the Albright and Nail Knot are fine. If you employ the Nail Knot it must be a multi turn version (12 to 15 wraps) to distribute fully seated tension over an adaquit area of fly line to avoid coating stripping.

FrankB2

Reaction score
I fish freshwater, and a nail knot works fine for me. It's smooth and compact. If I were fishing saltwater, I'd go with the Albright I used to use. I did use a needle nail knot a couple times for backing, but that's just getting silly. :rolleyes:

chuck s

Reaction score
When attaching backing to the fly line several things :icon_ques come into consideration. First is this a standard floating line or a solid core intermediate? Intermediate lines do not take well to some knots such as a nail knot.:frown: Secondly will you be changing that line at times when a sink tip or sinking line is needed for instance? If so then you'll want a quick change feature such as the loop to loop connection. When making the loop in that fly line do not just fold it over as the resulting bump may catch a guide with a fast running fish and cause a disaster.:mad: If your line has a braided core, either add a braided loop or strip the coating off and then make a loop in the braid such as is described in the web article, '' Getting Looped," by Dan Blanton. Always consider the breaking point of knots and the class tippet as this may save your fly line.:) Fly lines range from 12 lb test core in some very light lines to 30 lb test in the heavier ones, depending on the fly line and manufacturer. For those of you using Power Pro or similar braid backing, there are an entire set of rules/thoughts on securing that slick stuff and most involve a drop of Loctite 406 or something similar.

brucerducer

Reaction score
Hi Angelo:

I just use a Nail Knot, tied with a "Sip-Stir" straw from the grocery store, and cut to about an inch and a half long.

dillon

Reaction score
I've never had a nail knot fail on trout and steelhead lines. Salt water applications may be a different story. I like the Tie-fast knot tool for fly line to backing knots and a brass tube for leader to fly line nail knots.

stuie675

Reaction score
To me it depends, for me I rarely have to get to the backing, and use it mainly to fill in some space. A nail knot works perfectly fine and I imagine even if I went back that far it would still perform just fine.

sean_k

Reaction score
Light fly line (1-6 wt) just tie a perfection loop and make a loop to loop connection with the built in loops. Heavier weight lines, cut the factory loops tie in your own, stronger loop and again use a perfection loop to connect. If you dont want the loop connections or if there is little possibility you will need to change the line with any regularity then go with a nail knot.

kylebass91

Reaction score
I've always used a nail knot and a braided loop connector for everything from 6" trout to 15 lb redfish, Ive never had a any knot but the tippet knot fail on me.