Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Default When you need a new knot...tie a new knot

About a year ago my uncle and I were talking about fly fishing when he told me a bit of advice that I never fully understood until now. To paraphrase him: "The most important thing about fly fishing is that you shouldn't be lazy. If you need a new knot, tie a new knot."

A few weeks ago I was fishing for stripers with my friend. I rarely go salt water fishing, and in the few times I have tried with a fly rod, I haven't had any luck. This particular time, my friend and I were walking between spots when I noticed a small rub in my line, just barely starting to fray. I looked at it, not wanting to redo the knots and re-tie the fly for such a small rub, and asked my friend for his thoughts. We both agreed it wasn't worth the effort to redo. About 10 minutes later I hooked into my first ever striper, which snapped the line shortly after the hook set. Upon examining the line once I reeled in, I noticed that it snapped at the rub I lazily refused to fix. No other fish were hooked by me that day. Well played uncle...well played.

Blog Entries

Default Re: When you need a new knot...tie a new knot

I could not agree more. In the past, there have been times when I have known a knot was bad, or the line was nicked and it has cost me a fish... often times a great fish. I now will always re-tie If I feel the need to do so. The more often you tie, the faster you become. Great advice. When in doubt, re-tie.

all the strength in monfilament is in the skin or surface of the line.
    flurocarbon skin is alot tougher but it sinks quicker than mono and is generally stiffer.
    i've lost alot of fish.

Plus, when you think about the cost of the little section of mono you're removing and the small amount of time (as compared with the day spent fishing) you're losing and you compare that with the idea that the one fish you may have caught for the day might break off and cause a severe mental butt kicking for weeks after that...

"If you need a new knot, tie a new knot." Well said.
    Humility is not thinking less of yourself, it's thinking of yourself less. - C.S. Lewis

JSRods Blog - Check your fly!

I mentioned to a long time member of the club that I couldn't imagine why I lost a big fish using a rig that worked fine bringing in a large fish at the end of the previous day. I told him that it had happened more than once. In all cases, the line broke at the knot.

He told me that I should always retie my flies after fighting a big fish......some day I will learn.

Tight lines,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
    I could not agree more. In the past, there have been times when I have known a knot was bad, or the line was nicked and it has cost me a fish... often times a great fish. I now will always re-tie If I feel the need to do so. The more often you tie, the faster you become. Great advice. When in doubt, re-tie.
    same here...and it never happens when there's still a lot of light...always when you're retying by headlamp and don't want to fuss with rebuilding a leader (for me at least)

I remember Lefty Kreh saying one time that you can go through your entire trout fishing career using bad knots, but if that carries over into saltwater fishing, then it will bite you in the ass every time....... or something like that.

I remember this 'cuz I learned the hard way..
    But boy I did learn.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart