Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  11
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Loop to Loop connection Leader or nail knot

Most often I will use the welded loops until they become damaged, etc. On my dry fly only line, I use a 3-wrap nail knot to attach a thread furled leader. Any more wraps and the knot gets too big. Make sure to use glue or knot sense to cover end of fly line. If not, the exposed fly-line core will absorb water and start to sink. I have never lost a fish because of a bad knot at leader to fly line connection. I like many others use a stiff length of 20 or 30# maxima with a small perfection loop. Again, the perfection loop has never failed me yet.

On my lines/leaders for nymphing, tossing streamers, etc, I opt for the loop to loop. (easy leader changes).

I use loop to loop for line to leader, mostly for the convenience of swapping to different leaders to change techniques.

I used perfection loops for leader to tippet for a while but I have since stopped. Now I tend to use tippet rings and improve clinch knots to tie the tippet on. I found that perfection loops tied in light tippet had really terrible breaking strength.

Loop to loop for fly line to threaded furled leader.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Jack of all trades, Master of none.

If the fly line comes with welded loops then I use them; if not, or if the welded loop breaks off, I put on a braided leader loop (Cortland, Rio, whatever) and coat that with Aquaseal. I've never noticed a problem turning over flies. I use a surgeons loop for the leader/tippet.

Scott

Before most lines came with welded loops, I used a nail knot to attach a short 9-12" length of heavy mono with a Perfection Loop tied on the other end. I then use a Perfection Loop on the leader which allows for easy change. Now, many line come with loops making the Nail Knot unnecessary.

6. Default Re: Loop to Loop connection Leader or nail knot

Quote Originally Posted by fishgolf View Post
    Before most lines came with welded loops, I used a nail knot to attach a short 9-12" length of heavy mono with a Perfection Loop tied on the other end. I then use a Perfection Loop on the leader which allows for easy change. Now, many line come with loops making the Nail Knot unnecessary.
    I do the same, except I use a length of red Amnesia line instead of the heavy mono.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

7. Likes ejsell liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by mjsurfing View Post
    My mate who is teaching me to fly fish has tied my leader on with a nail knot as he said they turn over the leader better.

I see and have read about braided loop to loop leader joiners. The question I have is are they Ok to use and do they turn over the fly and leader OK.
    MJ,

I am a saltwater/blue water fly guy and only use 50 pound braided mono loops on both ends of my fly lines.

I slide the braided loop up the line, then use a 8 pound mono to make a nail knot wrapped about 6-7 times, then I whip finish the little burs down and then add hard as nails nail polish over the nail knot and whip finish....the fly line will break be-four the loop-I guarantee it-LOL There are lots of ways to skin a cat, this is the best I have found-CB

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    Both work fine. What I actually like to use is a nail knot to attach a short length of mono (6") to my fly line, then use a loop to loop to attach my leader to the mono. The mono more or less stays permanently attached to the fly line.

There is a right and wrong way to connect loops, do it the wrong way and you can have problems with hinging -

yes, I agree. I fished stripers and for kings, silvers, bows in AK, I always had that short piece of mono, maybe 10" or so, much heavier than my leader. 25, 30 lb but that was for stripers, throwing big bushy things and weighted leeches into the Kasilof river. I need a fly fishing course on knots but i'd say a 12 or 15 lb section of mono 10" or so would be good for 6wt rods. Ya just might need to inspect the heavier mono section loop from time to time, A few times I needed to change mine out over the course of summer going into fall for them hot silvers jumping over rocks
    Sometimes you eat the Bear & sometimes the Bear eats you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123