Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  77
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
  1. Default Re: Best knot, tippet to fly

I have typically used the clinch knot or non-slip loop, but I have started using the double Davy knot for smaller flies. The other day I snagged one on a branch in the water and broke it off. I could still see it so I took off my shoes and waded in (brrrr) to retrieve it. The knot was intact with about 6" of 5X tippet still attached, for what it's worth.

2. Likes myt1, bocast liked this post

Default Re: Best knot, tippet to fly

Non slip loop knot will slip in flouro as you begin to get up in size- I discovered this using Seaguar 30lb shock on Snook. Began using a figure 8 yucatan tarpon knot instead. No more slippage.

Why use a Davy knot when the Orvis knot is just as small, and considerably stronger? Among the very strongest, in fact? And wastes little tippet in the tying of the knot. Did anybody bother to click on the Yellowstone angler knot test link posted above and read it? Davy knot boasts the strength of a wind knot or a granny knot. I hear people say they never have a davy knot break? Well, I see a lot of people play fish to exhaustion, too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I use the improved clinch knot for anything fluorocarbon. I put little, if any, tension on the tag end while snugging up the wraps by pulling the lead. Then a little tug on the tag. I have tried several other knots. For me the improved clinch knot has been the most continent. I do 5-6 wraps on tippet, 5x to 7x.

I have found the Davy knot to be very unreliable, to the point that often just tightening the knot ends in breakage. I know that technique is the biggest factor in knot strength, but having tied knots all my life, this has been easily among the worst for me.

My preferred knots:
    Light tippet - San Diego Jam. Very easy, fast, almost fool proof, very little tag, very, very strong.
    Fixed loop - Anything that I want to impart more action on. Easy to tie, allows good movement, very strong.
    Trilene knot - Heavy tippet >12#, probably my most reliable knot, works every time, easy to tie

The palomar is also a very good knot if:
    *You're using line between 8 - 12# breaking strength. Heavy flouro does not do well with this knot, it doesn't tighten very well. Light tippet like 5 and 6x doesn't do as well with this knot either because if you don't have the proportions of your loop right when you pass the fly through and tighten, as you pull the tag it causes friction which damages your line.
    *Your hook eye is large enough, and closed tight and the end is cut clean
    *Your fly is small enough, without a bunch of material up near the hook eye to get caught in the knot
    *Your fly is large enough to weigh the doubled tippet down and allow you to perform the overhand portion w/o it moving up the line.

The palomar worked best for me in my fishing career when tying an inline fixed weight to a leader section while bait fishing. Since I don't normally bait fish anymore, I've all but abandoned the palomar.

"My preferred knots:
    Light tippet - San Diego Jam. Very easy, fast, almost fool proof, very little tag, very, very strong.
    Fixed loop - Anything that I want to impart more action on. Easy to tie, allows good movement, very strong.
    Trilene knot - Heavy tippet >12#, probably my most reliable knot, works every time, easy to tie."

clsmith, Why are you (k)not using the Trileen in light tippets where its resistance to abrasion during change of direction movement at the hook eye is particularly beneficial? And in heavy tippets, I'm mostly using the Non-Slip Loop anyway.

Been fishing most all of my almost 50 years and some of it fly fishing. An Improved clinch knot has never let me down. Although with larger lb test, 12 - 15, will only make 5 turns, with 6 lb and lighter will make 7 turns. This works on all mono from bait casting bass to tying small flies and streamers. On fine tippets I have used a Double Loop Clinch, 4 lb and under.

If I'm muskie fishing with very large or braided line I will use a Palomar knot but never with smaller lines...JMHO

Have used a Loop Knot on flies with no failure as well but most of the times I go to the Improved Clinch Knot.
    Life is too short to not own at least one piece of Hardy fly fishing gear

Interesting to read through the responses.

My go to big fish strength knot is the San Diego jam knot. Tests far superior to others for me.
    My presentation knot is the non-slip loop. It makes a significant difference in quality of the presentation when that's critical.
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Ive always used the improved trilene XL knot for flies. I went back to blood knots on tippet and leaders, not much luck on perfection loops on anything under 20 pound test. lost too many nice fish where the line broke at the perfection loop knot.

Tuurbine,

I hear you on the best knot is the one that you can tie the best

I like the double surgeons loops knot my self...so easy to tie, Pull the line thur the eye of the hook then make about a 4 inch loop and pull the fly thur the loop twice ,slide the knot to the desired length of the loop and pull tight...your done and it's about 95%

CB

11. Likes jfh245 liked this post

Sent a PM to cb3fish earlier about the surgeon's knot. Since switching to 5 to 7x fluoro I have had break-off problems with the Davy that was my go-to knot for tippet to fly. Lost 4 trout 2 days ago with the Davy. Took his sugestions for the Surgeon's and had zero failures yesterday. My concern really isn't my poor knot tying ability, but rather the viability of the fish hooked and their ability to survive. My thanks for his post. btw......I will be on stream tommorrow to test his insightful comment.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. - Anonymous.

13. Likes cb3fish liked this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910