Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  65
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Default Re: Best knot, tippet to fly

Looking at netknots I guess what I use is technically the Double Davy.

Double Davy Knot | How to tie a Double Davy Knot | Knots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
    Q: How many turns on a whip finish? A: "Enough to cover your mistakes" - AK Best

I use the double davy and the non slip loop pretty much exclusively.

3. Likes myt1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    The Non-Slip-Loop Knot. I typically make 6 turns around the standing line but recently, using 60# "tippet", I used 3 turns. I tighten it by putting the hook trough something like the split ring holding my nippers and pulling slow and hard. In the heavy stuff a plier on the tag end helps.

Attachment 8773
    Intresting about number of turns. When I first learned knot. The number of turns around standing line was made to seem important. 4 turns, no more no less. Knot was supposed to work from X size tippets (under mid point in sizes not recommended) up to 150 lb
    I've used knot for flies and leader loops for years. Tippets from 10 to 20lbs. 20 & 30lb leader sections and some cutback tappered leaders. Couple of weeks ago was rigging tarpon flies to bite tippets. Hooks up to 2/0 with 60 lb , 3/0 & 4/0 hooks w/80lb.
    Knot worked fine w/60lb as in past. This is the first year I've used heavier. Which led to 3 turns around syamding line. 4 turns would not work. No matter how I tried to tighten. Having become a habit tying over time. Only 3 turns raised a concern over strength. So test was in order. To make matters short. Knot will not fail before tippet tied to other end of bite tippet does.

........... pc

After reading this thread (and practicing the Davy / Double Davy) over the past few days, I fished using them both exclusively, yesterday. First time & I was pleasantly surprised by their ease and strength. No complaints here!

Thanks for the suggestions!!

6. Likes karstopo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by iv_wjb View Post
    After reading this thread (and practicing the Davy / Double Davy) over the past few days, I fished using them both exclusively, yesterday. First time & I was pleasantly surprised by their ease and strength. No complaints here!

Thanks for the suggestions!!
    Glad to hear it worked for you. I've always been dubious that the Davy would hold.

Simple knot test: Take a 5' section of typical tippet material. With two identical hooks or flies, tie one knot to one and another to the second. Holding the hooks so as to avoid any form of injury, tewo people slowly and firmly pull fro both ends till one knot fails. Repeat this a few times to avoid arbitrary results. Of course make sure the knots are well tied and snugged. I have done this a few times with a number of knots and the two I have recommended dominate...the None-Slip Loop Knot (ideal for a flies being striped or wafted and the Trileen Knot, perfect for a fixed to the center of the hook eye knot as in dry flies. Both prove strong, clean, elegant and optimized per their intent.

9. Thanks dillon thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Simple knot test: Take a 5' section of typical tippet material. With two identical hooks or flies, tie one knot to one and another to the second. Holding the hooks so as to avoid any form of injury, tewo people slowly and firmly pull fro both ends till one knot fails. Repeat this a few times to avoid arbitrary results. Of course make sure the knots are well tied and snugged. I have done this a few times with a number of knots and the two I have recommended dominate...the None-Slip Loop Knot (ideal for a flies being striped or wafted and the Trileen Knot, perfect for a fixed to the center of the hook eye knot as in dry flies. Both prove strong, clean, elegant and optimized per their intent.
    I know a guy that didn't like to tie blood knots so he used a double uni knot to join to sections of leader. He used a similar test to both knots. If I recall correctly there was some sort of a machine he used instead of people. His choice was validated in his mind when the blood knot he tied continually failed first. You should have seen his blood knots...
    Keep 'em wet!

11. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post
  12. Default Re: Best knot, tippet to fly

Double Davy for size 12 and under Dry flies. I have used it for a few years with minimal failure. I have had it slide out on bigger flies when I check the knot, so I use the improved clinch for bigger flies. I also use the double Davy to attach droppers to the bend of the hook.

For large hooks (stripers/salmon/tuna/halibut) I use a Palomar, for small hooks and droppers I use a clinch, if I want a loop then non-slip mono.
    I tried the Davy and Double Davy for several trips a few years ago and it did not work well for me.

14. Likes iv_wjb liked this post
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678