Another knot question?

swidaho

Reaction score
Okay, I’m not sure how to ask this. Looking at the double surgeon knot and the clinch knot to tie the fly to the tippet. Does the loop in the double surgeon give the fly a more natural look and movement compared to the solid knot with the clinch knot? And is this the same for streamer?

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Unless there is another way to tie it, I believe a double surgeons knot is used to tie two similar sized lines together, like leader to tippet, not a fly to tippet.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

fq13

Reaction score
The surgeon's knot is a line to line knot, like a blood knot or an albright knot. For terminal tackle 90% of the time I use an improved clinch. But it you want a loop with the "wiggle room" use either a Duncan loop or a uniknot. Go to youtube and you will find a dozen tutorials on how to tie either of these. They are both easy. I personally prefer the uni knot, but that is just me.

chechem

Reaction score
The surgeon's knot is a line to line knot, like a blood knot or an albright knot. For terminal tackle 90% of the time I use an improved clinch. But it you want a loop with the "wiggle room" use either a Duncan loop or a uniknot. Go to youtube and you will find a dozen tutorials on how to tie either of these. They are both easy. I personally prefer the uni knot, but that is just me.
Just want to add a note:
Last month I lost 2 nice Brown Trout at YNP when my clinch knot (not improved clinch) failed. I grew up using that knot for bass, and could tie it quickly and in the dark. No more. Use a uniknot; never failed for me.

See: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/364437-yellowstone-np-june-2015-a-3.html

swidaho

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. Any recommendation from tippet to a CutThroat leader? I do like the Uniknot.

chechem, I really enjoyed reading about your trip to YNP. Hope to be there this fall and maybe mid June next year.

chechem

Reaction score
Thank you for the input. Any recommendation from tippet to a CutThroat leader? I do like the Uniknot.

chechem, I really enjoyed reading about your trip to YNP. Hope to be there this fall and maybe mid June next year.
Thanks for the kind words.

Cutthroat leader? You mean tippet size?
5X is where I usually start at YNP.