Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  101
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Knot Tying Tools

Who uses one or more of them to good advantage? Which one? The tie fast tool seems a great nail knot tool, while the Three in one has the additional feature of the spring loaded clasp. Don't have either, but plan to get one or both...

Finally, (or maybe there are others) just using forceps to clasp tag ends is a tidy method. Any comments, insight, appreciated...thanks.
    Regards, lanyard

Blog Entries

Default Re: Knot Tying Tools

Just this one for nail knots.

All others are pretty easy but I struggled with nail knots for many years. A guy in a shop here gave me one of these because he felt sorry for me living in my cave. It is the slickest thing I ever used!

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

They're a crutch as far as I'm concerned, not that I have a lot of experience using them.
    Tying knots is a fly fishing fundamental. No less important than casting and reading the water
    If you're arthritic or have terrible eyesight, that's one thing, but tying good knots is only a matter of practice and anyone can learn to do it well with a minimal amount of effort.

The only knot tool that I actually own is the Dennison Blood Knot Tool which is usually used for tying leaders.
    I can do it faster by hand.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I use a part of the ink tube in a Bic Pen for nail knots. I've used similar tubes since I started tying nail knots in the 70's.

I use the tie fast tool and I thank God for it every time I use it. It has made tying my leader to my fly line so much easier. One of my best investments on the water.
    The only thing human kind ever learned through history, is that through history, human kind has learned nothing.

6. Likes hairwing530, mcnerney, rusty 54, rodteague liked this post

+1 on the tie fast tool, nail knot with the tool all other by hand
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

8. Likes scotty macfly, hairwing530, rodteague liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Just this one for nail knots.

All others are pretty easy but I struggled with nail knots for many years. A guy in a shop here gave me one of these because he felt sorry for me living in my cave. It is the slickest thing I ever used!
    +1 for nail knots, all the others I can tie by hand.
    Larry

Thanks for the comments, guys...
    Regards, lanyard

11. Likes hairwing530 liked this post

I use something similar to Rockriver. I had an old can of WD-40 that was used up, so cut a 2" section of the tube - less than half the diameter of a pen ink tube - which I use for my nail knots. It works great. I don't use any other tools, but have considered one of those blood knot tiers.

13. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I agree that a knot tool can be seen as a crutch by some. I try to tie my knots without the aid of a tool. However, sometimes my fingers just won't work, and I then use the Tie Fast Tool mentioned above. I was introduced to it by a guide several years ago. It is very easy to use.

steve
    "Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

15. Likes hairwing530, weiliwen, smp005 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast