Blood Knot Video

jjc155

Reaction score
thats the only way I can tie a blood knot. Don't know what my malfunction is but if I try to tie it "free hand" it only comes out correct about 1 out of 10, lol.

i tie a lot of double uni knots instead of bloods on the stream because i never remember my chop stick, lol

J-

photoguy

Reaction score
I must be doing something wrong...as simply as it was explained/shown it doesn't seem to be working for me. I get to the end step of pinch/pull and it all falls apart! Will have to watch again and go back to square one :eek:

bob3700

Reaction score
I had to watch the video several times to realize he is not putting the toothpick into the middle of the X formed by the tag ends.

Rather, he puts the toothpick in the left side ( the V if you will) of the junction of the leader and the tipper.

Pinch to the outside of the toothpick and start winding. That will twist both the leader and tippet while creating the spaces to slip the tag ends.

Love the method, just have to remember to bring a toothpick!

Bob

photoguy

Reaction score
I had to watch the video several times to realize he is not putting the toothpick into the middle of the X formed by the tag ends.

Rather, he puts the toothpick in the left side ( the V if you will) of the junction of the leader and the tipper.

Pinch to the outside of the toothpick and start winding. That will twist both the leader and tippet while creating the spaces to slip the tag ends.

Bob
Aha! ...and the tag ends pull from the opposite sides...doh!
(I was pulling them on the same sides as they'd started!)

Now I'll have to find a spot in my vest for a toothpick-

el jefe

Reaction score

Bob
A small twig will substitute for that toothpick.

spm

Reaction score
Good video. I remember buying a Dennison Blood Knot Tool, many years ago, that basically did the same thing he is doing with a toothpick. As he says in the video, the toothpick is much cheaper.

Thanks for posting this.
steve

comeonavs

Reaction score
if this gets me to where i can tie a blood knot on stream without unleashing a barrage of cuss words I will nominate this for post of the year.:worthy:

thanks for the tip
Well then you will love this, were flipping my buddy **** for buying the blood knot tool but he was all happy he could tie one on the river.

Few weeks later were on the river and he couldn't remember how to use the damned thing :D , we all got a good laugh out of that

jaybo41

Reaction score
Hey Brian, that's certainly an interesting way to do it. It takes me a while to get through the blood knot sometimes but I get it done. I tried tying one this evening using the method in the video and it worked well for the most part. You can certainly tie the knots fast that way. What I struggled a little bit with was removing the pick. I can see myself trying that whilst on the water and watching the picks float down the river or having it drop inside my waders and poke me as a reminder of my dexterity. I'll give it a go a few times before I reserve judgement on whether or not to dismiss it. Old habits die hard I suppose. :)

Vulpes

Reaction score
I tie maybe 1 in 10 bloodknots with actual tippet/mono. I seen this, tried, failed, but will try it again..

weiliwen

Reaction score
Good thinking, El Jefe! Related to the knot tool thread on this board, I have a half of a WD-40 tube I use for tying nail knots, and it would work great for a "toothpick substitute." I wouldn't have thought of that if not for El Jefe's idea.

citationsquirrel

Reaction score
I tried it out last night and I actually tied two decent blood knots. The method really works pretty slick. Now I didn't do it anywhere as fast as he did. The other thing is that is seemed I could have used an extra pair of hands to hold on to tag ends and pull ends through and hold my lines. But, that will probably come with practice.