What knot you use for tying Streamers to tippet?

L

Liphookedau

When Streamer Fishing I use a different set up to normal fly fishing Length of 20lb Braided Leader to act as A Shock Leader with Loops on either End I then attach on A piece of 10- 15lb Mono about 6-8Ft with A Perfection Knotted Loop finally I Tie The Streamer on with an Improved Clinch Knot which has always worked fine for me however if I'm in Alaska after Salmon I use 50lb Braided Leader then about 6ft Heavy Sinking Leader with 18-20 Mono also all looped which works well & again The Streamer tied on with an Improved Clinch Knot
Brian

B

blackbugger

I use the Rapala knot and have used it for 20 years or so.

I honestly can't ever remember a case where the knot has failed, it might have happened but I can't remember it.
I also use it for steelhead and for making loops in mono/flouro for loop to loop connections with tips.
I don't think it's necessarily better than any other loop knot but as I said it's never been a problem for me. If I have a snag it's always the blood knot between the two 2' sections of mono (20-25' to 12-15') that breaks first.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Another affirmation for the non-slip loop knot for streamers and the salt...virtually any fly that is stripped and paused benefits from the freedom of movement and strength this great knot offers.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I know I should use the non-slip mono loop, but when I am holding a fly in one hand and a tippet in the other I usually end up tying an improved clinch knot out of habit.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I've been using Lefty's non-slip mono loop since the first time that I saw him demonstrate it what has to be 20 years ago.
And in all that time, I've never had one break.
I can't say that about any other fly to tippet knot.

There are times when you want your stripped fly to travel in a strait line rather than "wiggle", (such as a crab on the flats) but that's rare enough that most folks don't even have to think about it.

el jefe

Reaction score
I've been using Lefty's non-slip mono loop since the first time that I saw him demonstrate it what has to be 20 years ago.
And in all that time, I've never had one break.
I can't say that about any other fly to tippet knot.

There are times when you want your stripped fly to travel in a strait line rather than "wiggle", (such as a crab on the flats) but that's rare enough that most folks don't even have to think about it.
I second that, Rip. I even use this knot for dry flies and fishing small nymphs on light tippets (6X) to large tailwater trout. It just does not break like the clinch knots do. I have had the clinch knots fail from improper tightening, too, but never had that problem with the loop. I will still use the clinch knots here and there, but find myself using the non-slip mono loop as my primary knot for more and more applications. I think that NOT making the hook eye part of your knot is why the loop works so well.

acorad

Reaction score
I used to use the Homer Rhodes knot, but two weeks ago when that knot failed on my very first Tarpon, I immediately switched to Lefty's Non-Slip Loop knot.

No failures for the rest of the trip!

Andy

silver creek

Reaction score
Most knot tiers do not know that there are at least 3 ways to tied what is called the non-slip mono loop. Lefty Kreh introduced this knot in the book he co-authored with Mark Sosin called Practical Fishing Knot. The way it is illustrated in the book is the way that net knots shows it tied.

The alternative way to tie the knot is illustrated below in an article by Fly Fisherman Magazine.

Lefty's No-Slip Loop Knot - Fly Fisherman

Note that when the tag end is taken back into the overhand knot, it can be place ALONG SIDE the loop as in step2 of Netknots OR it can be taken THROUGH the loop as in step 3 of the Fly Fisherman Magazine's illustration.

These are NOT identical non-slip mono loop knots. Fly Fisherman Magazine called the second version Lefty's No-Slip Loop Knot, but it differs from the knot in my book by Kreh and Sosin.

The third version of the non-slip mono loop knot is a version on redchaser.com in which the tag end is taken BEHIND the loop(through the opposite side it entered)as in the first image below. The red chaser article is below:

Redchaser.com - Knots and Rigging

Redchaser states that this version is stronger than the original version of the knot that brings the tag end IN FRONT of the loop ( through the same side as it entered) as in the Netknots illustration and Lefty's original version.

So there are 3 ways to finish the knot depending on whether you take the tag end through the same side or the opposite side it entered from, or through the overhand loop. I don't think anyone has tested all 3 version of the knot against each other.

lanyard

Reaction score
Most knot tiers do not know that there are at least 3 ways to tied what is called the non-slip mono loop.
This is fantastic...I find the second version, same as the one demonstrated in the video, the easiest to visualize.

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Lefty may have changed his tune since then (he tends to do that) but he told me personally that there should be only 3 turns around the standing line with a non-slip loop and that's the way that I've always done it.

acorad

Reaction score
Lefty may have changed his tune since then (he tends to do that) but he told me personally that there should be only 3 turns around the standing line with a non-slip loop and that's the way that I've always done it.
I read somewhere that he recommended fewer turns around the standing line as the weight of the leader goes up - as many as 7 for trout weight leaders, down to 3 for >60#.

I was using 50# for the tarpon and I found 3-4 seemed manageable.

Andy