Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. Default Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    I always have issues relatively soon after repeaded fishing trips/casting having a new fly line crack just under the welded loop or where I've nail knotted a loop to the fly line, is this something I have to expect to deal with? My newest line line lasted actually quite a few outings until it split on both sides right under the welded loop exposing the braid. Also what would you guys use to repair cracks farther up the line?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, Va
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    Quote Originally Posted by clayed21085 View Post
    I always have issues relatively soon after repeaded fishing trips/casting having a new fly line crack just under the welded loop or where I've nail knotted a loop to the fly line, is this something I have to expect to deal with? My newest line line lasted actually quite a few outings until it split on both sides right under the welded loop exposing the braid. Also what would you guys use to repair cracks farther up the line?
    What type and brand of line are you using? Salt or fresh?

  3. Likes fredaevans liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
    Posts
    10,829

    Default Re: Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    Same question as Innes and as to "Also what would you guys use to repair cracks farther up the line?" I, rare, like really rare I use Aquaseal. Gear Aid™ Aquaseal® Wader Repair Adhesive : Cabela's
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

  5. #4

    Default Re: Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    Repair is good for light cracks. If it's getting to the point it's going through to the braid, getting soaked and sinking, the line is done.
    I'm going to throw a wild guess out and say Rio.

  6. Likes jgentile, scotty macfly liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,782

    Default Re: Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    Quote Originally Posted by clayed21085 View Post
    I always have issues relatively soon after repeaded fishing trips/casting having a new fly line crack just under the welded loop or where I've nail knotted a loop to the fly line, is this something I have to expect to deal with? My newest line line lasted actually quite a few outings until it split on both sides right under the welded loop exposing the braid. Also what would you guys use to repair cracks farther up the line?
    I've only had it happen once. When I did I cut off the welded loop, put on a braided mono loop, and sealed the cut end of the fly line where it butts up to the inside of the braided loop with Pliobond. The Pliobond serves the dual purpose of keeping water from seeping into the core and keeping the braided loop from slipping off. (When I use a braided loop I usually also put a drop of Pliobond at the back end of the loop, under the plastic sleeve.)

    Don't have much experience repairing cracks in the body of the fly line, but here are some expert tips.

  8. #6

    Default Re: Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    Though this would receive more attention under Fly Line in Tackle below, I too will ask what line and how old you are using and what you are looping to it, as in mono diameter. Too small a diameter leader butt will cut into the coating exposing the core for example.

  9. Default Re: Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    Yes it's rio avid trout, I've had this same issue with cortland line too just a 3x 7 1/2' leader attached.

  10. #8

    Default Re: Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    21085, If you go down to Fly Lines and Leaders below and search for "Welded Loops" or "Rigging" you will find a wealth of knowledge and opinion about the factory loops which are roughly 75% the strength of the line itself, which is about 25#. Some cut them off an add a Nail Knot or tie an Albright through them but I have been using them but precluding failure by mechanically re-enforcing them with a 12+ turn Nail Knot of #20 Fluoro over the doubled part of the loop when new. If your Avid is a 5-wt. make sure your leader butt is around .022".

  11. #9

    Default Re: Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    Quote Originally Posted by nevadanstig View Post
    Repair is good for light cracks. If it's getting to the point it's going through to the braid, getting soaked and sinking, the line is done.
    I'm going to throw a wild guess out and say Rio.
    Is this a common problem with Rio? All my current fly lines are Rio, their going on around one and a half years old. I'm just curious because on my 5wt and 7wt I also have small cracks on the fly line, a couple of inches below the loop. I usually fish two to three days a week, so at this point I'm curious if it's a line problem or just normal wear and tear.
    --Ed

  12. #10

    Default Re: Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

    Quote Originally Posted by dragon11 View Post
    Is this a common problem with Rio? All my current fly lines are Rio, their going on around one and a half years old. I'm just curious because on my 5wt and 7wt I also have small cracks on the fly line, a couple of inches below the loop. I usually fish two to three days a week, so at this point I'm curious if it's a line problem or just normal wear and tear.
    My Rio gold needs to be replaced because of cracks, and I bought it in July this year.
    After rio's customer service gave me the cold shoulder I did some research, and from what I found it seems pretty common. Seems like there's no in between, if you get a good batch it's great for a long while, but a bad one is done in a month or two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to make The Braided Connector For Your Welded Loop Spey Line;
    By Ard in forum Spey Fly Lines, Reels and other Spey Tackle
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-26-2015, 08:28 PM
  2. Best knot for 4wt line to backing without a welded loop.
    By Mnflyfish in forum Fly Fishing Knots
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 07:28 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2013, 10:20 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2013, 09:40 PM
  5. Oversized Welded Loop On Rio Shooting Line
    By maddybrown in forum Fly Lines
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •