Fly line cracking/splitting under welded loop

clayed21085

Reaction score
I always have issues relatively soon after repeaded fishing trips/casting having a new fly line crack just under the welded loop or where I've nail knotted a loop to the fly line, is this something I have to expect to deal with? My newest line line lasted actually quite a few outings until it split on both sides right under the welded loop exposing the braid. Also what would you guys use to repair cracks farther up the line?

Hombre06

Reaction score
I always have issues relatively soon after repeaded fishing trips/casting having a new fly line crack just under the welded loop or where I've nail knotted a loop to the fly line, is this something I have to expect to deal with? My newest line line lasted actually quite a few outings until it split on both sides right under the welded loop exposing the braid. Also what would you guys use to repair cracks farther up the line?
What type and brand of line are you using? Salt or fresh?

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Repair is good for light cracks. If it's getting to the point it's going through to the braid, getting soaked and sinking, the line is done.
I'm going to throw a wild guess out and say Rio.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I've only had it happen once. When I did I cut off the welded loop, put on a braided mono loop, and sealed the cut end of the fly line where it butts up to the inside of the braided loop with Pliobond. The Pliobond serves the dual purpose of keeping water from seeping into the core and keeping the braided loop from slipping off. (When I use a braided loop I usually also put a drop of Pliobond at the back end of the loop, under the plastic sleeve.)

Don't have much experience repairing cracks in the body of the fly line, but here are some expert tips.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Though this would receive more attention under Fly Line in Tackle below, I too will ask what line and how old you are using and what you are looping to it, as in mono diameter. Too small a diameter leader butt will cut into the coating exposing the core for example.

clayed21085

Reaction score
Yes it's rio avid trout, I've had this same issue with cortland line too just a 3x 7 1/2' leader attached.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
21085, If you go down to Fly Lines and Leaders below and search for "Welded Loops" or "Rigging" you will find a wealth of knowledge and opinion about the factory loops which are roughly 75% the strength of the line itself, which is about 25#. Some cut them off an add a Nail Knot or tie an Albright through them but I have been using them but precluding failure by mechanically re-enforcing them with a 12+ turn Nail Knot of #20 Fluoro over the doubled part of the loop when new. If your Avid is a 5-wt. make sure your leader butt is around .022".

dragon11

Reaction score
Repair is good for light cracks. If it's getting to the point it's going through to the braid, getting soaked and sinking, the line is done.
I'm going to throw a wild guess out and say Rio.
Is this a common problem with Rio? All my current fly lines are Rio, their going on around one and a half years old. I'm just curious because on my 5wt and 7wt I also have small cracks on the fly line, a couple of inches below the loop. I usually fish two to three days a week, so at this point I'm curious if it's a line problem or just normal wear and tear.

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Is this a common problem with Rio? All my current fly lines are Rio, their going on around one and a half years old. I'm just curious because on my 5wt and 7wt I also have small cracks on the fly line, a couple of inches below the loop. I usually fish two to three days a week, so at this point I'm curious if it's a line problem or just normal wear and tear.
My Rio gold needs to be replaced because of cracks, and I bought it in July this year.
After rio's customer service gave me the cold shoulder I did some research, and from what I found it seems pretty common. Seems like there's no in between, if you get a good batch it's great for a long while, but a bad one is done in a month or two.

dragon11

Reaction score
My Rio gold needs to be replaced because of cracks, and I bought it in July this year.
After rio's customer service gave me the cold shoulder I did some research, and from what I found it seems pretty common. Seems like there's no in between, if you get a good batch it's great for a long while, but a bad one is done in a month or two.
Well I can at least count my blessings mines lasted as long as it has. Mine should last through the winter, but I may be looking for new line come next spring. At any rate, onward and upward.

Hombre06

Reaction score
I hate to hear this because Rio is my favorite line. I've had good luck with mine and some are many years old. I'll have to start checking my lines.

karstopo

Reaction score
My rio bonefish Quickshooter did the cracking exposing the core just above the welded loop. I use mine a lot and in a harsh, muddy environment. I went to an Airflo Tropical Bruce Chard line. The Airflo with its non porous Urethane and Teflon coating Repels mud better than the porous PVC Rio line and so far resists cracking.

wf0

Reaction score
Same happened to my Rio Euro Nymph line, but it was an early run version, and the coating on it is so thin (to make it light), it just kinda wears off and starts peeling away from the core. Flipped to the other DT end, and the same thing started happening after a few outings. Now that rod is fly-line-less = L2H!

I had an old reel i bought that came with a old (SA-made) Sage QT WF-1 that arrived looking like tiny sausage links - like it had cracked and re-welded many times.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Small cracks in the line and at the tip can be repaired with Pliobond. It takes a bit to dry but stays flexible. May take a few coats.

Frank

Pilobond