The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Fishing Knots A discussion on fly fishing knots

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 04-09-2017, 03:34 PM

fenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nice
Default Sink Tip to Non-Tapered Leader connection

Here's my problem.

When i m streamer fishing i normally use a sink tip line that has a loop on each side.

In order to connect the non-tapered leader to the sink tip I just make a perfection loop and connect via loop to loop connection.

Here lies the problem. Because the non-tapered leader is only 1x or 0x it cuts into the thin coating on the sink tip. After fighting a big fish i have to create a new loop on the sink tip because the loop is all cut up.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any clever ways to deal with this?

I was thinking id just connect a 50 lb mono line to one end of the sink tip using a nail knot and tying a perfection loop on that. So since the loop to loop connection will be mono to mono it wont deteriorate the loop.

Any suggestions. I also added a diagram

Click the image to open in full size.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, fredaevans liked this post
Old 04-09-2017, 03:37 PM

comeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond reputecomeonavs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sink Tip to Non-Tapered Leader connection

Check out Ard's video, he has a cool solution he makes to solve this problem. Your nail knot idea would work but just have to be careful , Ive dont hat and sometimes that nail knot snags a bit when it gets inside your top guide.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Likes Ard, ia_trouter liked this post
Old 04-09-2017, 04:32 PM

fenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nice

i knew i saw that somewhere wasn't sure so i thought id ask here. i watched the video late last year and since i stopped fishing over the winter i completely forgot.

seems to be a good solution, any others?

Here's the video for those interested. At 4:30
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnNGdB-F8qM&t=404s
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard liked this post
Old 04-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Administrator

Ard has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond reputeArd has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Ard Send a message via Skype™ to Ard

Hi,

I first ran into this problem 7 years ago and solved it using a couple different connections.

These are the double loops shown in various weights and colors.

This is a 50 pound double in orange.

On my own sink sections I use a single loop with a 3 inch sleeve, to be sure they stay put I use a nail knot with 8 pound mono at the very end of the sleeve. I use the double loops at the end of my floating lines that have a welded loop. For connecting tippets to sinking materials like T or Z sections I avoid the bulkier junctions by using the single sleeves in 25 or 35 pound black braid.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 04-09-2017, 09:07 PM

jr spey is on a distinguished road

You can mostly solve the problem by going through the fly
line loop twice with the perfection loop. That places the load over twice as much flyline and usually will minimize the cutting action.
Likes fenix84, fredaevans liked this post
Old 04-09-2017, 10:24 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion is similar to Ard's. I would remove the loop at the end of the fly line and place a braided loop connector directly on the end of the fly line. Instead of using the shrink tubing that comes with the braided connector, I whip finish the end to the fly line then I coat the whip finish and the portion on sink tip with Pliobond (a flexible cement).

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...fly-lines.html

You can get Ard's single sided braided loop to form the connection.

I make my own braided loop connectors. Here is how.

Getting Looped | Dan Blanton Fly Fishing Resources

The braided loops that I make are made of Cortland braided clear monofilament OR braided yellow monofilament in 50 and 30 lb test. I doubt the short section of braided mono loop makes a difference, so there is no need to color it. If you want to color it, you can use a Sharpie.

Cortland has stopped making the braided mono so if you want or need it, you better buy it now. I have. I also use the braided mono to make bodies for the Gary Borger Braided Butt Damsel.

Cortland Braided Mono Running Line

To make the braided loops and put it on a fly line, use the method below.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fenix84 liked this post
Old 04-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Sink Tip to  Non-Tapered Leader connection

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix84 View Post
Here's my problem.

When i m streamer fishing i normally use a sink tip line that has a loop on each side.

In order to connect the non-tapered leader to the sink tip I just make a perfection loop and connect via loop to loop connection.

Here lies the problem. Because the non-tapered leader is only 1x or 0x it cuts into the thin coating on the sink tip. After fighting a big fish i have to create a new loop on the sink tip because the loop is all cut up.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any clever ways to deal with this?

I was thinking id just connect a 50 lb mono line to one end of the sink tip using a nail knot and tying a perfection loop on that. So since the loop to loop connection will be mono to mono it wont deteriorate the loop.

Any suggestions. I also added a diagram

I use #2 on all my riggings, off a floating line or sink tip .... the 'secret' is you want to get your self a spool of 'stiff/hard' mono leader**. This stuff is not the least bit floppy in 8 to 12 strips (all you need), over this and it probably will hindge ... not a good thing. On the odd off you do get a bit of hindging you may have to cut back the tappered tip of the fly line.

Depending upon the line weight this short shot will be 12, 15 or 20 pound. 20 pound is all you need as that's (pretty much) the break strength of most fly line cores.

Nail knot to the end of the fly line, loop on the other end, loop to loop to the leader, good to go even with a spey rod.

** You're not likely to find this in the typical fly shop so you may have to do a EBay. Not two worry ... a single spool will last you the rest of your life.

fae
Likes fenix84, oarfish liked this post
Old 04-11-2017, 02:42 PM

catspaw is a jewel in the roughcatspaw is a jewel in the roughcatspaw is a jewel in the roughcatspaw is a jewel in the rough

I've used a set up like that in salt water for decades. If the fly line has a pre made loop I cut it of and double whip a loop -ala Lefty. Then loop to loop a piece of straight 20 for the leader- this is for striper fishing. Same set up for tuna, tarpon, bones what ever, just change the pound test of the leader. Every fall I cut off the loop and whip a new one. I have never had one fail. Whip loops on both ends of the fly line and bimini twist the backing.
Old 04-11-2017, 03:32 PM

runningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud ofrunningfish has much to be proud of

I am using this system from Joe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujPpMX0Dbk go straight to 5:50.
But I am using a tippet ring or a swivel to the other end that connect to the leader. and instead of maxima, I am using 18" of 25# of OPST Lazar.
Likes teardrop liked this post
Old 04-17-2017, 09:42 AM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

The other solution is that you should have at least a slight taper in your leaders, even on a sink-tip. A heavier leader butt and shorter tippet will turn over a big streamer a lot better than three feet of 1X or whatever.

Here is my sink-tip system, which is not unusual except in one respect:

--Fly line
--20" of 20lb Maxima Ultragreen secured via needle-knot.
--Micro rolling swivel (this is the unusual part)
--18-20" of whatever tippet, usually 1X-3X with small streamers (#4 or smaller) or 8-12lb Maxima with bigger streamers.

The swivel makes it possible to switch tippets quick without eating into the leader butt.

Edit: I just realized the above is basically the same solution as the previous post, just expressed a different way. Ah well...