Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sink Tip to Non-Tapered Leader connection

Here's my problem.

When i m streamer fishing i normally use a sink tip line that has a loop on each side.

In order to connect the non-tapered leader to the sink tip I just make a perfection loop and connect via loop to loop connection.

Here lies the problem. Because the non-tapered leader is only 1x or 0x it cuts into the thin coating on the sink tip. After fighting a big fish i have to create a new loop on the sink tip because the loop is all cut up.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any clever ways to deal with this?

I was thinking id just connect a 50 lb mono line to one end of the sink tip using a nail knot and tying a perfection loop on that. So since the loop to loop connection will be mono to mono it wont deteriorate the loop.

Any suggestions. I also added a diagram

2. Likes Ard, fredaevans liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sink Tip to Non-Tapered Leader connection

Check out Ard's video, he has a cool solution he makes to solve this problem. Your nail knot idea would work but just have to be careful , Ive dont hat and sometimes that nail knot snags a bit when it gets inside your top guide.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

4. Likes Ard, ia_trouter liked this post

i knew i saw that somewhere wasn't sure so i thought id ask here. i watched the video late last year and since i stopped fishing over the winter i completely forgot.

seems to be a good solution, any others?

Here's the video for those interested. At 4:30
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnNGdB-F8qM&t=404s

6. Likes Ard liked this post
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I first ran into this problem 7 years ago and solved it using a couple different connections.

These are the double loops shown in various weights and colors.

This is a 50 pound double in orange.

On my own sink sections I use a single loop with a 3 inch sleeve, to be sure they stay put I use a nail knot with 8 pound mono at the very end of the sleeve. I use the double loops at the end of my floating lines that have a welded loop. For connecting tippets to sinking materials like T or Z sections I avoid the bulkier junctions by using the single sleeves in 25 or 35 pound black braid.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

You can mostly solve the problem by going through the fly
    line loop twice with the perfection loop. That places the load over twice as much flyline and usually will minimize the cutting action.

9. Likes fenix84, fredaevans liked this post

My suggestion is similar to Ard's. I would remove the loop at the end of the fly line and place a braided loop connector directly on the end of the fly line. Instead of using the shrink tubing that comes with the braided connector, I whip finish the end to the fly line then I coat the whip finish and the portion on sink tip with Pliobond (a flexible cement).

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...fly-lines.html

You can get Ard's single sided braided loop to form the connection.

I make my own braided loop connectors. Here is how.

Getting Looped | Dan Blanton Fly Fishing Resources

The braided loops that I make are made of Cortland braided clear monofilament OR braided yellow monofilament in 50 and 30 lb test. I doubt the short section of braided mono loop makes a difference, so there is no need to color it. If you want to color it, you can use a Sharpie.

Cortland has stopped making the braided mono so if you want or need it, you better buy it now. I have. I also use the braided mono to make bodies for the Gary Borger Braided Butt Damsel.

Cortland Braided Mono Running Line

To make the braided loops and put it on a fly line, use the method below.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf8svKhXFfw[/ame]
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

11. Likes fenix84 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Quote Originally Posted by fenix84 View Post
    Here's my problem.

When i m streamer fishing i normally use a sink tip line that has a loop on each side.

In order to connect the non-tapered leader to the sink tip I just make a perfection loop and connect via loop to loop connection.

Here lies the problem. Because the non-tapered leader is only 1x or 0x it cuts into the thin coating on the sink tip. After fighting a big fish i have to create a new loop on the sink tip because the loop is all cut up.

Does this happen to anyone else? Any clever ways to deal with this?

I was thinking id just connect a 50 lb mono line to one end of the sink tip using a nail knot and tying a perfection loop on that. So since the loop to loop connection will be mono to mono it wont deteriorate the loop.

Any suggestions. I also added a diagram

I use #2 on all my riggings, off a floating line or sink tip .... the 'secret' is you want to get your self a spool of 'stiff/hard' mono leader**. This stuff is not the least bit floppy in 8 to 12 strips (all you need), over this and it probably will hindge ... not a good thing. On the odd off you do get a bit of hindging you may have to cut back the tappered tip of the fly line.

Depending upon the line weight this short shot will be 12, 15 or 20 pound. 20 pound is all you need as that's (pretty much) the break strength of most fly line cores.

Nail knot to the end of the fly line, loop on the other end, loop to loop to the leader, good to go even with a spey rod.

** You're not likely to find this in the typical fly shop so you may have to do a EBay. Not two worry ... a single spool will last you the rest of your life.

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

13. Likes fenix84, oarfish liked this post

I've used a set up like that in salt water for decades. If the fly line has a pre made loop I cut it of and double whip a loop -ala Lefty. Then loop to loop a piece of straight 20 for the leader- this is for striper fishing. Same set up for tuna, tarpon, bones what ever, just change the pound test of the leader. Every fall I cut off the loop and whip a new one. I have never had one fail. Whip loops on both ends of the fly line and bimini twist the backing.

I am using this system from Joe https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tujPpMX0Dbk go straight to 5:50.
    But I am using a tippet ring or a swivel to the other end that connect to the leader. and instead of maxima, I am using 18" of 25# of OPST Lazar.
    I am highly qualified to comment in this forum after receiving a Specialized High Intensive Training (S.H.I.T) at the Olde Schitt Institute of Technology (O.S.H.I.T).

16. Likes teardrop liked this post
  17. Default Re: Sink Tip to Non-Tapered Leader connection

The other solution is that you should have at least a slight taper in your leaders, even on a sink-tip. A heavier leader butt and shorter tippet will turn over a big streamer a lot better than three feet of 1X or whatever.

Here is my sink-tip system, which is not unusual except in one respect:

--Fly line
    --20" of 20lb Maxima Ultragreen secured via needle-knot.
    --Micro rolling swivel (this is the unusual part)
    --18-20" of whatever tippet, usually 1X-3X with small streamers (#4 or smaller) or 8-12lb Maxima with bigger streamers.

The swivel makes it possible to switch tippets quick without eating into the leader butt.

Edit: I just realized the above is basically the same solution as the previous post, just expressed a different way. Ah well...
    Owner/Outfitter, Yellowstone Country Fly Fishing
    Head Guide, Parks' Fly Shop
    Author, Yellowstone Country Flies, River Characters, and Fly Fishing Yellowstone Country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast