Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: braided backing to flyline, which knot?

This is an 11 yr old thread.

Good tip though. Is there a name for this knot or link to tying it in action on YouTube?

I too like loop to looping if using braid or gel...... and like a double loop. I’d been using a 12 turn double bimini..... not so easy with braid. If there’s an easier mouse trap.... I’m open to trying it.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

2. Default Re: braided backing to flyline, which knot?

for trout fishing with no loop at the back end of the fly line a well tied nail not works great. a better option with 5wt. lines or larger is the needle not. not only is the needle not very strong but also very smooth . however you can only tie the needle not to a fly line with a braided core. hope that helps you.

Blog Entries

Thankfully all my fly lines have loops on both ends. With my braided backing the only connection I use is loop to loop. When I get the knot tightened down on the braid I'll work in a couple drops of Zap-A-Gap to seal it up and let it dry for an hour before spooling it up.

**I also double up the loops on the braid to provide some padding for the fly line loop coating.

Denny

Sweetandsalt and I use Orvis braided butt leaders. The connection to the flyline method we use is as follows:

1. Cut off the loops of the flyline and braided butt. Be sure to cut the fly line end on an angle.
    2. Insert the end of the fly line into the hollow core of the braided but a bit over an inch.
    3. Gently pull on both lines. The braided butt should tighten on the fly line, like a Chinese handcuff.
    4. Coat the connection sparingly with Zap a Gap Glue glue.
    5. Hang it to dry and cure before use.
    6. Trim any loose ends of the end of the braided butt where it attaches to the leader.

This connection is very smooth and creates a perfect transition of power from flyline to leader, if done correctly. It has never failed. S&S has written extensively on his leader building method using the Orvis braided butt on this forum.

We have used this method for a long time. When I purchased my first looped end fly line I tried connecting the looped end of a braided butt to it. This worked fine and was not too bulky. I still prefer the above method but sometimes will use the loops. Especially, if it's on a multi purpose line, that I will sometimes use a straight tapered nylon leader.

I’m using braid or gel spun for Salmonids. Nail knotting braid to thin running line I’m afraid would strip that coating off on a nice fish playing tug-o-war.

Is a modified Albright ok or is the 6 turn surgeons loop the ticket? Or the Alberto knot?

~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    This is an 11 yr old thread.

Good tip though. Is there a name for this knot or link to tying it in action on YouTube?

I too like loop to looping if using braid or gel...... and like a double loop. I’d been using a 12 turn double bimini..... not so easy with braid. If there’s an easier mouse trap.... I’m open to trying it.
    Go back to cb3's post and you have an easier (and better) mousetrap.

That’s what I was referencing. I was just looking for a YouTube vid of this knot. I know the surgeons loop..... but when you talk of doubling it over and doing it again. I’m lost.

~Zane Grey

~Syd Glasso

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Thankfully all my fly lines have loops on both ends. With my braided backing the only connection I use is loop to loop. When I get the knot tightened down on the braid I'll work in a couple drops of Zap-A-Gap to seal it up and let it dry for an hour before spooling it up.

**I also double up the loops on the braid to provide some padding for the fly line loop coating.

Denny
    Denny,

Doubling up the loop is a good ideal, however if your just trout fishing using braid against the soft coating of a fly line will be OK, but if your salt water fishing get rid of the factory loop on the end of the fly line and go with the braided loop.my 2 cents-CB

9. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cb3fish View Post
    Denny,

Doubling up the loop is a good ideal, however if your just trout fishing using braid against the soft coating of a fly line will be OK, but if your salt water fishing get rid of the factory loop on the end of the fly line and go with the braided loop.my 2 cents-CB
    Thanks for the tip CB. Salt water fishing is on my bucket list. The freshwater fish that sometimes, but not really that often take me into the backing are Salmon, Steelhead and Carp. So far so good!

Denny

fly tie,

Let me help you out here with this knot. first take about A -4 foot peice of braid double it back on it's self and tie a overhand knot and go through this loop 6 times, this is called a triple surgeons loop, Now you have a big loop about 2 foot long, now double that loop back on it's self make that same over hand knot and go through it 3 times, you should end up with a loop about a foot long with double lines-the double lines keep the line from cutting through the braided loop cause it gives the line more bearing surface, another tip is never use braid with the factory loops, cause they will dig into the loop, Will it break the loop?, I am sure but it sure looks ugly after a few fish-If your trout fishing just take all this advice and throw it out the window-LOL-CB

12. Likes tkww liked this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast