Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: braided backing to flyline, which knot?

Thanks cb3. Time to go practice.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Another tip is make sure that both loops of that final knot are exactly the same size or you're defeating the purpose of the two loops.

3. Likes flytie09 liked this post
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Someone mentioned cutting off the factory loop on a fly line.I've never had a factory loop fail in all my years of salt water fly fishing but admit anything is possible.As for braided loops on braid backing,I make my own using 30 or 50lb.Gudebrod.
    Cortland also makes a similar product and YouTube has "how to" videos.

It was probably me who mentioned cutting the factory loop off. First off let me say I haven't ever had a factory loop fail me and i haven't ever seen a factory loop fail, now after that being said in Mexico where we catch one big mean ass hard pulling fish after another all day long I have seen the soft coating on factory loops with the braid backing totally embedded in the soft coating of the factory loops..THEY didn't break however they looked like they would on the next fish, they were trashed...so I cut them off and replaced them with my home made 50# braided mono loops and the braid backing didn't even dent the new mono loops...SO now I save a step and cut off any factory loop on any saltwater lines I own and never have to worry about the loop failing when fighting another big fish...that's my story CB
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Likes dennyk, camelbrass, Nix liked this post

All I gotta say is that when I see a someone catching fish like this..... I’m listening to what knots they’re using. Saltwater guys live by the quality of their knots for sure. Thanks cb3.

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Wow! that's the biggest Mahi mahi I've seen on Fly,and the other captures are equally impressive,so in that context I doff my chapeau to you Sir!

Dynaflow,

These Dorado here in Mexico are actually lighter in weight then what most people think, both of these were 48 pounds , on the other hand those Rooster's weight a lot more then what you might think. Those Rooster's are built like a "pig" and the Dorado are built like a gray hound-LOL-CB

10. Default Re: braided backing to flyline, which knot?

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Thankfully all my fly lines have loops on both ends. With my braided backing the only connection I use is loop to loop. When I get the knot tightened down on the braid I'll work in a couple drops of Zap-A-Gap to seal it up and let it dry for an hour before spooling it up.

Why on earth would you do that - the whole point of loop to loop connections is the ability to undo them.

On factory loops I use a double catspaw with my loop to loop to spread the load because the mono or braid cuts into the loop quite nastily, and I have lost fish when the mono leader butt loop to looped on a whipped loop cut through the fly line. I don't cut off factory loops , but I now use gudebrod braided loops rather than whipped loops on my lines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by original cormorant View Post
    Why on earth would you do that - the whole point of loop to loop connections is the ability to undo them.

On factory loops I use a double catspaw with my loop to loop to spread the load because the mono or braid cuts into the loop quite nastily, and I have lost fish when the mono leader butt loop to looped on a whipped loop cut through the fly line. I don't cut off factory loops , but I now use gudebrod braided loops rather than whipped loops on my lines.
    No-The Zap-A-Gap goes on the knot only-not the loop.

Denny

12. Default Re: braided backing to flyline, which knot?

I tie a doubled line Bimini and then do a double loop to loop connection to the flyline on my big rods. On the small ones, a triple surgeons is all I use.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast