Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Default Re: braided backing to flyline, which knot?

I endorse these comments and can only repeat that no-one I know uses Dacron for anything in salt water.I also use braided monofilament (Braid) for those Nail Knots osseous refers to above.My go-to for years has been the good value 50lb.TufLine but I also use Hatch's 68lb.eight pick Japanese made braid.

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    I endorse these comments and can only repeat that no-one I know uses Dacron for anything in salt water.I also use braided monofilament (Braid) for those Nail Knots osseous refers to above.My go-to for years has been the good value 50lb.TufLine but I also use Hatch's 68lb.eight pick Japanese made braid.
    I have a few reels which have been rigged for years and are still used in saltwater. Many of them have SA System backing in 30#. I won't normally use it for rigging anything new or re-rigging something I've had for awhile, but there's absolutely no reason at all to replace the Dacron if there's nothing wrong with it and if there's a sufficient amount on the reel for its intended use. When I replace backing I use Hatch Premium.

Jr spey,

I am not trying to change your mind on backing, but let me say this. The way it was explained to me by a buddy who had 14 world records . If you use the thin braid (spectra) backing you have a lot less drag in the water so therefore you can use a smaller diameter leaders for world records, and Braid is impervious to saltwater corrosion, where as Dacron will rot, with braid you will get a lot more backing on the reel then with Dacron. I know a few other guys who put a large base of braid on the reel then give the reel a top shot of maybe 200 feet of Dacron which is what they call their working backing for those who think the braid is going to cut them. Lots of different ways to skin the same cat.

Another thing to think about is we have guys who go on a saltwater trip for a week once a year and might not even get their backing wet, however for those like me who just live for the long saltwater trips and do as many a year as possible my backing gets wet everyday many times and I don't have to worry about it breaking from being compromised from saltwater use continuously. Good luck on whatever you decide. CB

Quote Originally Posted by cb3fish View Post
    Jr spey,

I am not trying to change your mind on backing, but let me say this. The way it was explained to me by a buddy who had 14 world records . If you use the thin braid (spectra) backing you have a lot less drag in the water so therefore you can use a smaller diameter leaders for world records, and Braid is impervious to saltwater corrosion, where as Dacron will rot, with braid you will get a lot more backing on the reel then with Dacron. I know a few other guys who put a large base of braid on the reel then give the reel a top shot of maybe 200 feet of Dacron which is what they call their working backing for those who think the braid is going to cut them. Lots of different ways to skin the same cat.

Another thing to think about is we have guys who go on a saltwater trip for a week once a year and might not even get their backing wet, however for those like me who just live for the long saltwater trips and do as many a year as possible my backing gets wet everyday many times and I don't have to worry about it breaking from being compromised from saltwater use continuously. Good luck on whatever you decide. CB
    Not all saltwater flyfishing is for huge fish. For those that I pursue(d), they are all loaded with Hatch. However, I've also been known to spend a fair amount of time pursuing snook, redfish, seatrout, and the like and there the Dacron works just fine. I did the research on Dacron and found out it does not rot. It can acquire mildew if stored wet, but it does not rot. I'm pretty comfortable with the system I have and have been using it for years. The truth is that my physical situation right now doesn't even allow for saltwater fishing. What I pursue most are smallies and muskies and one could use twine for backing on those reels.

Quote Originally Posted by jr spey View Post
    Not all saltwater flyfishing is for huge fish. For those that I pursue(d), they are all loaded with Hatch. However, I've also been known to spend a fair amount of time pursuing snook, redfish, seatrout, and the like and there the Dacron works just fine. I did the research on Dacron and found out it does not rot. It can acquire mildew if stored wet, but it does not rot. I'm pretty comfortable with the system I have and have been using it for years. The truth is that my physical situation right now doesn't even allow for saltwater fishing. What I pursue most are smallies and muskies and one could use twine for backing on those reels.
    Sorry to hear about your physical situation...I hope it improves CB

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

After every saltwater trip I remove the braid backing,polish the inside of the spool and rewind the backing..an arduous but necessary task.

7. Likes flytie09, cb3fish liked this post
    Blue Ridge, Rappahanock, Potomac and Fingerlakes Region

X several on the uni-knot. I'm a newbie too, just keep being amazed at how useful that knot is and it is specifically supposed to be designed to securely tie lines together composed of different materials.
    "To many afflicted Eastern fishermen, the 'Green Drake Hatch' is as irresistible and habit-forming as black jack, whiskey, or easy women."
    Caucci and Nastasi, Hatches II

Note: a uni knot will slip on spectra backing

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Like many of the salt water guys here, I switched the backing on all of my big fish reels a long time ago to hollow "super braids", which are easy to "blind" splice. However, there is not a thing wrong with dacron, and the rotting I hear about has never occurred to me personally.

In fact, a few years ago I found a spare spool to an old Pfleuger Supreme star drag fly reel I got in the '70's loaded with dacron that was still perfectly serviceable.

The only real difference in spliceability is that the dacron braids are often heavily waxed and before splicing them, it is usually easier to wash that section out with dawn detergent. Same if it is dyed some color - and that applies to dyed hollow "super braids" (often called "PE" braids, "Gel Spun" braids, "Spectra" or "Dyneema") as well.

Another reel I ocassionally use is a Ross BG5 which is still loaded with dacron Magibraid from about 1990. It, like all my reels' backing, uses a blind spliced loop and not a Bimini with a double strand surgeon's loop to connect to the fly line.

The term "braid" really means nothing without further clarification. By that I mean what it's made of and what kind of weave was used to make it (ie. “gel spun polyethelene” and "hollow" or "solid".)

Rio's dacron backing, if you read the literature, is a hollow dacron braid that is as easy to blind splice as Magibraid trolling braid or Jerry Brown hollow Spectra braid. The Rio backing can be found on the internet for $13.99 (which includes shipping) for 200 yds and is purportedly hollow.

Here is a picture of the packaging from Rio’s web site. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for more details.

https://www.rioproducts.com/products...backing-dacron

How much more would it cost them to add the word “hollow” or better yet “hollow spliceable” to that big blank spot on the spool ? Is their marketing department trying to fool the public into thinking it is a “super braid”, or is marketing management just another dumbed-down victim of compulsory education? It’s all a mystery.

PS: Access tokens are available at a store near you.
    Last edited by wjc; 04-11-2019 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Missed April fools day; also added "Spectra". They even got me doing it now.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

11. Likes sweetandsalt, osseous liked this post
    Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

Rio was a real issue disseminating information about their products. I almost believe its intentional. They do however promptly respond to emails. Wulff has not responded to a simple question in over 2 weeks. I doubt they will.
    Last edited by falcon53; 04-16-2019 at 10:40 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast