Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  44
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blood knots vs double surgeon's knots

Quote Originally Posted by rxflyfisher View Post
    Earlier in my life my front teeth did not even meet and to this day I cannot bite through a piece of line like many do. If you wet the knot, do you use river water, lick it or spit on it? I've done all choices.
    I put the not yet tightened, but formed knot in my mouth briefly to wet it with saliva. Saliva lubricates better than water.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Default Re: Blood knots vs double surgeon's knots

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    I put the not yet tightened, but formed knot in my mouth briefly to wet it with saliva. Saliva lubricates better than water.
    And floatant lubricates better than either of those. It is the only knot for which I use something other than saliva, and it really helps the coils run down the line toward the X in the knot, with the coils cinching down faster and cleaner.

Also, contrary to what Silver suggests, I use the blood knot join mono and fluoro quite regularly, with no problems. I will qualify that by stating that I am fishing for trout, though some are pretty big. Recently, I have switched to using tippet rings for convenience, and saving leaders and cleaning up bird's nests faster, but I have no hesitation to use the blood knot to join mono and fluoro.

EDIT: I should add that I think Silver is right about the mono/fluoro blood knot connection. I just don't think my type of fishing pressures that knot enough for the fluoro to be cutting the mono to be a problem. Besides, for various reasons, I cut that knot off pretty regularly, anyway, so it's not (pun alert!) on there long enough to develop into a problem, either. I typically use the mono-to-fluoro blood knot to attach the terminal piece of tippet.
    Last edited by el jefe; 08-10-2018 at 02:32 PM.

3. Likes karstopo liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345