Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  47
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Blood knots vs double surgeon's knots

Quote Originally Posted by rxflyfisher View Post
    Earlier in my life my front teeth did not even meet and to this day I cannot bite through a piece of line like many do. If you wet the knot, do you use river water, lick it or spit on it? I've done all choices.
    I put the not yet tightened, but formed knot in my mouth briefly to wet it with saliva. Saliva lubricates better than water.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    I put the not yet tightened, but formed knot in my mouth briefly to wet it with saliva. Saliva lubricates better than water.
    And floatant lubricates better than either of those. It is the only knot for which I use something other than saliva, and it really helps the coils run down the line toward the X in the knot, with the coils cinching down faster and cleaner.

Also, contrary to what Silver suggests, I use the blood knot join mono and fluoro quite regularly, with no problems. I will qualify that by stating that I am fishing for trout, though some are pretty big. Recently, I have switched to using tippet rings for convenience, and saving leaders and cleaning up bird's nests faster, but I have no hesitation to use the blood knot to join mono and fluoro.

EDIT: I should add that I think Silver is right about the mono/fluoro blood knot connection. I just don't think my type of fishing pressures that knot enough for the fluoro to be cutting the mono to be a problem. Besides, for various reasons, I cut that knot off pretty regularly, anyway, so it's not (pun alert!) on there long enough to develop into a problem, either. I typically use the mono-to-fluoro blood knot to attach the terminal piece of tippet.
    Last edited by el jefe; 08-10-2018 at 02:32 PM.

3. Likes karstopo liked this post

My finished blood knot tag ends never really fall on opposite sides. I make sure I wrap each side in different directions and put one up and put one down. When I tighten it starts to shift. I haven't had one come loose or break, but is it compromised? Not sure what I am doing wrong. Last thing I need is a trophy fish breaking off due to a bad knot by me haha.

IMG_6651.jpg

Blog Entries

I just added this section of tippet and took a series of photos. I did six wraps of the tippet pictured and five of the mid section. Lubricated with saliva, gave it a good tug and trimmed off the tag ends. This one I finished off with loon thin UV cure.

I donít know if it is right, but it passed the good tug test and looks good enough.

Nevermind, I figured it out. I had the knot good and the hand gymnastics down. My mistake was drawing the knot down correctly. When I grab the main line and tag ends at the same time and draw it gives me the tag ends on opposite sides.

7. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

I just added this section of tippet and took a series of photos. I did six wraps of the tippet pictured and five of the mid section. Lubricated with saliva, gave it a good tug and trimmed off the tag ends. This one I finished off with loon thin UV cure.
    Try skipping the spit and putting the UV cure on as the lubricant. Cure it once it's cinched.

As to the original question: Neither knot is as strong as the J Knot. A triple or quadruple J knot is the strongest knot I've ever seen for joining monofilament lines (FC or nylon, doesn't matter.)

Cheers,
    Graeme
    IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)

9. Likes karstopo liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hirdy View Post
    Try skipping the spit and putting the UV cure on as the lubricant. Cure it once it's cinched.

As to the original question: Neither knot is as strong as the J Knot. A triple or quadruple J knot is the strongest knot I've ever seen for joining monofilament lines (FC or nylon, doesn't matter.)

Cheers,
    Graeme
    Good idea on the UV as a lubricant. Thanks!

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Apologies for coming late to this thread (just back from 2 weeks on C.I.) but Silver nailed it right here..
    "Finally, the best knot for you is the knot that you can tied consistently well"...ain't it the truth.It's interesting the love for the Blood knot.I don't use it or the Triple Surgeons,as unless they're seated exactly right they fail miserably (especially the Surgeons,as well as being too bulky) and prefer a Uni knot for all leader connections except to the Fly.The C.I.Guides use Blood knots because that's what they were taught,simple as that.Defence rests,your witness...lol
    P.S.Chapstick makes a good lubricant,but I just use spit.

Quote Originally Posted by dynaflow View Post
    Apologies for coming late to this thread (just back from 2 weeks on C.I.) but Silver nailed it right here..
    "Finally, the best knot for you is the knot that you can tied consistently well"...ain't it the truth.It's interesting the love for the Blood knot.I don't use it or the Triple Surgeons,as unless they're seated exactly right they fail miserably (especially the Surgeons,as well as being too bulky) and prefer a Uni knot for all leader connections except to the Fly.The C.I.Guides use Blood knots because that's what they were taught,simple as that.Defence rests,your witness...lol
    P.S.Chapstick makes a good lubricant,but I just use spit.
    The double uni knot was my first line to line connection I learned before I got into fly fishing. Then when I did, I saw no one do it and used the blood or surgeons. I still do it from time to time. The blood and uni have nice skinny profiles. But the ultimate line to line is the FG knot. No one got time for that though. Thats offshore stuff haha

If tying entire leaders, blood knots.

For connecting tippet, double or triple surgeon's knots, as they are stronger than blood knots and also have the side benefit of being easier to tie with the thinnest line.

I use J knots in the salt sometimes, as they are strongest of all. To much of a PITA for trout tippet, though, and I pretty much never have knot failures so see no need to change.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345