Does anyone else have these piles on their desk?

fenix84

Reaction score
No , no piles , no desk. What kind of knot are you working on ?

...... pc
Loop knots. Been trying to find quick shortcuts to tie non-slip, perfection and canoeman knots. The goal is to standardize the way i tie them. Any suggestions?

karstopo

Reaction score
I tie the perfection loop fairly often. If I'm careful, there's hardly any tag end to cut. I just try to make my loops as small as I can before tightening. Putting a pencil or pen, that's the diameter of the formed knot I'm typically shooting for, in the final loop really helps to cinch down the knot.

I don't tie the canoe man or non slip. I use the rapala loop. That one is hard to do without losing a little of the tag end. The knot starts with an overhand loop that's like an open wind knot. I just kind of know how much tag end I'll need past that overhand loop. An inch would be a very minimum, two inches makes it easier to tie. Keeping the loops as small as possible helps not to waste too much material.

pnc

Reaction score
From what I could make out in pic. Looked like you were trying dropper loops. Second look just now can see differences in knots looking closer.
I would recommend using whichever knot you tie best at moment. Or is easiest for you. Trying to short cut how knots are tied can often lead to failure in knot at worst time. If you should find something that looks good make sure to dry test first before wetting.
I pre tie tippets. Some single loop , some dbl looped , some with bite or shock tippet added. No UV degredation hanging spools from me. Oh yea, other thread....... never mind.
I pre tie to test all tippet types. Or more specifically the knots in tippets. Every tippet type I carry when fishing will lift & hold a cinder block (drilled , wood plug, screw eye). Only after that am I happy with knots.

....... pc

I

ikankecil

Yeah, before certain trips I sit down and tie up some leaders....it can turn into quite a mess -

JoJer

Reaction score
No, I have piles of tying materials all over my desk. Lots of odds and ends. Now mostly just small bits I don't feel like putting away.