The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Fly Fishing Knots A discussion on fly fishing knots

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  12
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 PM

fenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nice
Default Does anyone else have these piles on their desk?

Click the image to open in full size.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 09-13-2017, 12:22 AM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all
Default Re: Does anyone else have these piles on their desk?

No , no piles , no desk. What kind of knot are you working on ?

...... pc
Old 09-13-2017, 01:36 AM

fenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nicefenix84 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc View Post
No , no piles , no desk. What kind of knot are you working on ?

...... pc
Loop knots. Been trying to find quick shortcuts to tie non-slip, perfection and canoeman knots. The goal is to standardize the way i tie them. Any suggestions?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:45 AM

karstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant futurekarstopo has a brilliant future

I tie the perfection loop fairly often. If I'm careful, there's hardly any tag end to cut. I just try to make my loops as small as I can before tightening. Putting a pencil or pen, that's the diameter of the formed knot I'm typically shooting for, in the final loop really helps to cinch down the knot.

I don't tie the canoe man or non slip. I use the rapala loop. That one is hard to do without losing a little of the tag end. The knot starts with an overhand loop that's like an open wind knot. I just kind of know how much tag end I'll need past that overhand loop. An inch would be a very minimum, two inches makes it easier to tie. Keeping the loops as small as possible helps not to waste too much material.
Likes mcnerney liked this post
Old 09-13-2017, 10:07 AM

pnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to allpnc is a name known to all

From what I could make out in pic. Looked like you were trying dropper loops. Second look just now can see differences in knots looking closer.
I would recommend using whichever knot you tie best at moment. Or is easiest for you. Trying to short cut how knots are tied can often lead to failure in knot at worst time. If you should find something that looks good make sure to dry test first before wetting.
I pre tie tippets. Some single loop , some dbl looped , some with bite or shock tippet added. No UV degredation hanging spools from me. Oh yea, other thread....... never mind.
I pre tie to test all tippet types. Or more specifically the knots in tippets. Every tippet type I carry when fishing will lift & hold a cinder block (drilled , wood plug, screw eye). Only after that am I happy with knots.

....... pc
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes philip43, scotty macfly, fredaevans liked this post
Old 09-24-2017, 04:36 PM

hatidua is on a distinguished road

Yeah, before certain trips I sit down and tie up some leaders....it can turn into quite a mess -

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 5 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Ard, flyminded, mcnerney, fredaevans, myt1 liked this post
Old 09-24-2017, 09:50 PM

JoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant futureJoJer has a brilliant future

No, I have piles of tying materials all over my desk. Lots of odds and ends. Now mostly just small bits I don't feel like putting away.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privilege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Likes fredaevans liked this post
Old 09-25-2017, 02:48 AM
Does anyone else have these piles on their desk?

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJer View Post
No, I have piles of tying materials all over my desk. Lots of odds and ends. Now mostly just small bits I don't feel like putting away.
Obviously you don't have a Cat. Finally tossed in the towel and got a roll top desk.

Cat gave me EVIL LOOKS for quite some time.

fae
Likes robinfick liked this post