Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default albright to perfection loop

Does anyone use the albright to a perfection loop to connect fly line to leader? As in connecting a piece of stiff mono to the fly line with the albright then adding a perfection loop to the mono 6-12 inches down in order to be able to connect the fly line and leader loop to loop. I know guys do the same thing with the nail knot to a perfection loop. I don't see why it would be bad to do it with the albright. Am I missing something? I am just more comfortable with the albright.

This set up is a 6 wt. orvis clearwater with rio mainstream saltwater in 7 wt. It is mostly used for chasing spotted bass in small creeks here in louisiana with #6-4 bass poppers with the occasional streamer thrown in the mix.

Default Re: albright to perfection loop

That's what I use, mostly.
    I think it works just as well as a nail knot. In fact, with some lines it seems to work better.
    It's definitely easier to tie.
    When a fly line doesn't have a loop, or the loop starts to fray, a piece of 30# Maxima makes a great loop.
    Last edited by plecain; 09-24-2017 at 06:06 AM.
    Today is always the first day of the rest of your life.
    Use it wisely.

Paul

In those cases where an Albright knot is needed, I've switched to the Nail knot. Always used an Albright up to the time I hooked a King Salmon in Alaska. Beautiful fish, every bit nearly 4 feet, made four gorgeous leaps taking line, and I watched my Albright knot slowly unwind from my nice new, slick, fly line right before my eyes. Still can see that fish.

I've had failures with the Albright knot as well
    While I've learned to add a uni-knot "lock" to finish the Albright, it's still not the most trusted knot that I tie.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by spoonbill23 View Post
    Does anyone use the albright to a perfection loop to connect fly line to leader? As in connecting a piece of stiff mono to the fly line with the albright then adding a perfection loop to the mono 6-12 inches down in order to be able to connect the fly line and leader loop to loop. I know guys do the same thing with the nail knot to a perfection loop. I don't see why it would be bad to do it with the albright. Am I missing something? I am just more comfortable with the albright.

This set up is a 6 wt. orvis clearwater with rio mainstream saltwater in 7 wt. It is mostly used for chasing spotted bass in small creeks here in louisiana with #6-4 bass poppers with the occasional streamer thrown in the mix.
    No don't do it.... my advice. Nail knot or loop. I prefer looping fly line, and whip finishing. Looped leaders can then easily be switched in moments.
    Looping also yields more possibilities. Lenghts of sinking line can be added between line & leader for fastest switch from floating to sinking lines. And back again. All outside of tip on water. No extra reels or spools needed.
    Very versatile compared to any knot.

........ pc

6. Likes flyminded liked this post
  7. Default Re: albright to perfection loop

Thanks for the advice fellas.

The Albright is an excellent and strong if slightly bulky connection. Two things about both the Albright and Nail Knot; the more coils you can succefully snug sans overlap the stronger the knot. I like 12 to 15 turns. With the Albright it is imperative that prior to tightening you slide the coils forward to make the loop of the fly line almost invisible to preclude slippage. Both knots can also be thinly coated with a UV cure low viscosity adhesive to further preclude slippage. However, the knot integrity should be sound without this coating...try hard to break it after full seating. Should you employ either knot for a leader butt connection, avoid the common style of making the butt piece short then looped...make it 4 feet long to be a permanent properly matched to the line energy transferrer then adjusting the leader to be looped appropriately, loop it on.

9. Likes flyminded liked this post
    Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

It seems odd however to tie a knot with a breaking strength of 90% or more to a loop that has a breaking strength of what 60%. I understand the need for a smooth connection just question the rationale.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

I correct my previous post as I did not realize the connection was at the fly line. I have always used nail knots or loops in the fly line itself.

Understand that the fly line itself may be #30 test and the fluoro butt section is perhaps #40 - 60 test and the Perfection Loop at the end of the butt may loose some % of strength but your tippet is (in the salt) generally #20 - 15 test so nothing should break. One could employ a Surgeons Loop which is stronger than the Perfection but pays the price of extra bulk going through the guides. A Non-Slip Loop from tippet to fly is strong and enhances natural motion during the pause when stripped.

Northwest New Jersey, Big Flatbrook right over the hill

I agree the surgeons loop is a stronger knot. I don't use it for the reason S&S indicated; catching in the guides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast