Gel-spun to mono

pnc

Reaction score
Been told over time connecting gel-spun line to monofilament is tricky. Gel-spun being pretty slick. Learned a simple knot thats worked as long as I can remember. Until today. Did solve problem. But lead me to think of what others might do for such a connection.
Started with bimini loops in both gel-spun & mono. Temporary insanity had me thinking just loop together. Of course gel-spun would slip. It did. Ok, remembered gel-spun, needs different connect. Wrapped loop around mono 7 times put end of mono through loop. Wet, pulled tight, looked good, then mono slid through under pressure. 4 more times & I sat looking at my dismay for 5 mins. Envisioned every knot slipping. Tried Albright, used gel-spun loop to tie onto mono loop. It held, held under pressure. UV knot sense, and I hung it outside.
For those wondering why. I was putting a shock absorber, so to speak. On a reel to be used for friends intro to tarpon this coming year.

......... pc

camelbrass

Reaction score
Been told over time connecting gel-spun line to monofilament is tricky. Gel-spun being pretty slick. Learned a simple knot thats worked as long as I can remember. Until today. Did solve problem. But lead me to think of what others might do for such a connection.
Started with bimini loops in both gel-spun & mono. Temporary insanity had me thinking just loop together. Of course gel-spun would slip. It did. Ok, remembered gel-spun, needs different connect. Wrapped loop around mono 7 times put end of mono through loop. Wet, pulled tight, looked good, then mono slid through under pressure. 4 more times & I sat looking at my dismay for 5 mins. Envisioned every knot slipping. Tried Albright, used gel-spun loop to tie onto mono loop. It held, held under pressure. UV knot sense, and I hung it outside.
For those wondering why. I was putting a shock absorber, so to speak. On a reel to be used for friends intro to tarpon this coming year.

......... pc
Pnc,

For lighter applications use a slim beauty to connect. Make sure it bites when you tighten it down.

If you want something even more secure that will sit flat on a reel or run through guides look at an FG knot. It's not easy to learn but once you get it, it's very handy.

If it doesn't need to sit flat or go through guides look at tying a Bimini in the gel spun and attaching the mono with a Yucatan knot.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

pnc

Reaction score
Lol...... back to school, have to look up knots mentioned. Bimini & a few others have been only used for a long time.

Thanks for info ........... pc

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I still more fishing with bait casting and spinning tackle than with fly rods. I have all of my conventional reels loaded with braid.
For the leader connection I use back to back uni-knots. Other popular knots (judging from what I read online) are the "Crazy Alberto" knot
and the FG knot.

pnc

Reaction score
With all the names of knots I don't recognize. It appears I've been remiss in keeping up to date. Homework needed will keep for another week. Tomorrow is club outing to Ft Desoto. Thursday be in Port Manatee at Florida FWC stock enhancement research facility.

...... pc

Hirdy

Reaction score
The FG Knot is the only one I use for this connection now. You may need to search for a video to see how it's done, but it's essentially a "Chinese Finger Trap" style of knot.

Cheers,
Graeme

(The G stands for Good. I'll let you work out what the F stands for. It would only give me asterisks here if I tried to type it. :) )

camelbrass

Reaction score
Fred,

Modern gel-spun is much smoother than the old stuff. It won’t damage guides.

You do have to be careful handling it when it’s running under the pressure of a fish though. I’ve seen some nasty cuts.

Regards,

Trevor

Hirdy

Reaction score
It's not for fly fishing. It's for connecting a monofilament leader to GSP on spinning gear. Maybe the OP can explain why he's after this knot?

Cheers,
Graeme

pnc

Reaction score
I'll look up this FG knot but...why would one require knotting gel spun braid to mono in a fly fishing rigging?
OP... last paragraph. 100 or so feet between backing & fly line. Acts lik big rubberband or shock absorber when fish starts jumping. Friend will be taking first shots at tarpon w/fly this coming season. Want to give him better chance of landing one.

........ pc