Anybody splice dacron?

denver1911

Reaction score
Put some 80 lb Jerry Brown hollow core spectra on my 12 wt. Got a latch needle and spliced a loop in emds for the connections. Wow! What a wondefrul way to do this.

So, I thought, "How abour splicing dacron?" I've got 30 lb dacron on my 10. I test spliced loops in a short section and they held at 25 lb. The line broke at 35 in between the loops, but the loops held.

Any thoughts on splicing loops in dacron vs., say, a bimini or double bimini?

Thanks.

flav

Reaction score
30 lb dacron works great with a blind splice. I use a folded over piece of wire (guitar string) but I bet that latch tool would work well if it's thin enough.

I've never used a bimini in my backing so I have no thoughts there.

J

james w 3 3

Put some 80 lb Jerry Brown hollow core spectra on my 12 wt. Got a latch needle and spliced a loop in emds for the connections. Wow! What a wondefrul way to do this.

So, I thought, "How abour splicing dacron?" I've got 30 lb dacron on my 10. I test spliced loops in a short section and they held at 25 lb. The line broke at 35 in between the loops, but the loops held.

Any thoughts on splicing loops in dacron vs., say, a bimini or double bimini?

Thanks.
I thought I was the only one with JB Line One Spectra as backing on my fly reels!
I even had the chance to do a 16day Long-Range tuna trip with Jerry, perhaps the most memorable person I've ever fished with.
Like Jerry himself I've never used anything but a double strand of 27 or 44 pound wire for all my blind splices.
As for your actual question before I slid back down memory lane, a bimini in Dacron is just a huge diameter knot compared to an inline splice. I say no way.

philly

Reaction score
I use a splice on my 20 and 30 lb Dacron backing. Not sure what the tool I used is called, it came with the Dacron when I brought it years ago to fill my trolling reels. I used a bimini twist on my trolling rods to mount the ball bearing swivels for the lures. That was usually a 5 to 7 foot leader. It can be a PITA to tie and you would end up with a length of double line and knot when you're done. A splice is much cleaner and you can make a small loop with it.

pnc

Reaction score
Never tried splicing loops. Backing or fly line. Fly lines are looped & whip finished. Bimini's most everything else.
Double bimini caught my eye. What is a double bimini ?

........ pc

denver1911

Reaction score
Never tried splicing loops. Backing or fly line. Fly lines are looped & whip finished. Bimini's most everything else.
Double bimini caught my eye. What is a double bimini ?

........ pc
Double your line up, then tie a bimini with the doubled line. An awful mess that's just huge if you ask me. Does, however, provide a doubled line to create the loop-to-loop connection with to help reduce the liklihood that thin diameter backing will cut through the loop in the fly line.

Do you cut off factory loops and tie your own in fly lines? Getting ready for a Christmas Island trip and was planning on leaving the factory loops, but reinforcing them with a nail knot.

pnc

Reaction score
II've been cutting off factory loops since they started using them. First experiences was enough.
When seeing op thought you might be in Florida.
In description of knot, are you ending up with 2 loops or 4 strands coming from knot ?

....... pc

denver1911

Reaction score
Yes. Two loops (four strands). Bulky. Messy. Should I worry about 30 lb spectra cutting through the loop?

pnc

Reaction score
First problems I had with factory loops in fly lines. Was with 30 lb dacron braid for backing. Problem was not cutting of line. Coatings would stretch and start to separate coming out of weld. Not being touched by backing. I would assume factory loops are better than they once were. So maybe cutting them off became a habit. I now use 50 lb gel spun on same reels. All single loop. Never a problem yet on tarpon outfits. I say yet because switch to gel spun was a year or so now. Past season no signs of any problem to come.
Wanted to test a reel for possible backup. Used 50lb gel spun, single bimini, looped to 10w line, on 9w rod. Oh, the reel a Picifun Blaze. No apparent problems with line while cleaning afterwards.
Forsee none with reel or line. For a 50lb blackfin tuna is moving when it wants a fly before its friend gets it. And when it notices something is wrong. Afterburners come on.
Took 2 trips out about a month ago. Same outfit both times. Have every confidence in reel. Line being cut has never been problem. On occasion loop connect of tippet to leader. Mono to mono. Tippet will slip from figure 8ish shape to strangle hold on leader loop. Have always caught in time.
Mono will cut mono if given the chance. Coming close means new loop in leader. Notch left from tippet being evident.
If gel spun loop slipped I suppose it could cut into line. But the subtleness compared to mono. Is somehow going to make a difference. Good or bad not sure. But the softness of lines could help cinch connection that mono doesn't offer.
I think if loop conects are made correctly you'll be fine.

........... pc