Which knot to use...

jayodonn

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a newbie with a 9wt outfit chasing stripers/blues in RI. I was out this weekend and noticed that my fly, a deceiver, was riding sideways in the water column. I later changed to a clouser minnow and that too was sideways. I use a fisherman's knot (aka Improved Clinch knot) and wondering if it was the knot that is causing them to ride sideways. Any suggestions?

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi jayodonn,

Assuming your flies are balanced and don't have more material on one side of the fly. With the Clouser, make sure the eyes are perfectly aligned on the hook. If the eyes are cocked it may cause your problem.

I would try using a Non-Slip Mono knot. It will allow the fly to move freely on the knot. Go to this site and click on the Non-Slip Mono knot. The loop is exaggerated in the animation and I would make it smaller. Start with a 1/4 inch loop.

Frank

jayodonn

Reaction score
Appreciated..will see if it's my knot-tying or fly-tying that's the culprit!

Flats Guide

Reaction score
Learn to tie some different loop knots to see what works best for you. There are many to choose from. If your flies are good, I'd bet a loop knot will solve your problem.

hsmith1313

Reaction score
The know Frank recommended is what I use for clousers and decievers going for stripers on the Cape. Its easy to tie.

jayodonn

Reaction score
Thanks all. Been using a loop knot and it's working great. No more crooked clousers! :frogdance