Clinch Knot turns

fliedout

Reaction score
Any opinions on the optimum no. of turns for a clinch knot on 16 lb. mono? Seven turns are pretty hard to tighten; I'm thinking maybe five.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
16 lb. ... ?
I do 3 & 1/2 turns with Climax, Maxima or Trilene. You can feel the resistance when you get to that point.

The flexibility and diameter of monos determine the number of turns, but consistently with every one you can feel it when you're getting that resistance and it becomes harder to make the next turn
That's when you know it's time to stop.

comeonavs

Reaction score
With smaller stuff I used to do 7 but a buddy of mine said anymore than 4 and you're just showing off. I only do 4 or 5 now and feel like I break less off....could be perception but 4 seems just fine.

I

ikankecil

I've never used more than three, on any size line, and less on thick line offshore.

pnc

Reaction score
If I can see. I use a non-slip for files. When I can't see clinch. Tied so many don't have to think. 7 turns is what I learned and for the most part what I use. Tippets to 20lb....... at times some line from 15 up will only take 5 turns. I tighten knots in my mouth. Then pliers on tag end. 7 turns is usually not a problem.
Before going less than 5 turns. I'll use a different knot. Going less is weak knot in my opinion.
Yes bigger mono makes any knot harder to tie. It has been shown in labs. That knots In mono 20 lbs & up. Can not be tightened fully without the use of a mechanical device. Pliers.

........ pc

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Like pnc, for a #16 tippet I would be using a non-slip-loop knot with 6 turns. For a fixed knot I use a clinch or more often Trileen knot with 6 turns. I might use 7 but never fewer than 5 turns. Coil based knots obtain their integrity from snug, non-overlapping, concentric coils. In a nail or Albright knot I use 12 to 15 turns.

jbcissell

Reaction score
I just spin it in my fingers and pull the tag end through so I have no idea how many turns. By the way this is when using that knot to attach a dropper on the bend of a hook. I use a double davy for everything else.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

clsmith131

Reaction score
I prefer the Trileen also. I often use a loop knot with that size tippet though, because it probably means I'm using some type of baitfish imitation that benefits from more movement. On smaller tippet, I've been using the San Diego Smash. With all of these, I like to go seven turns. What's most important is how you cinch the knots down, weak line=weak knot. It's best to tie them the same way every time.

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
As my Father always told me. "You can pick any number of wraps you like.... As long as its a number between 4 and 6."

Jim Taddeo

Reaction score
My hands have been so cold that I'm lucky to have tied anything at all so I'm sure that I've used four turns more than once.

I usually try to get six and leave a tag to pull on for tightening the knot well.

al_a

Reaction score
I too just spin the fly, so don't know how many turns. Probably no more than 4 and often less. Haven't had any problem with failing knots, and that's with any size line I use. I think a lot of guys make knots too complicated. Geez, if I had to tie some of the knots that are out there and being touted, I'd never get time to fish.

pheldozer

Reaction score
i do one more turn than the X size of the tippet for trout. for 4x i'll do 5 turns, 5x 6 turns, 6x 7 turns and so on. read it somewhere a long long time ago and it stuck with me.

afishinado

Reaction score
I use 1 turn for each "X" designation +1 but never less than 4 turns
i.e. 3x = 4 turns / 4x = 5 turns / 5x = 6 turns / 6x = 7 turns