Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  23
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Clinch Knot turns

I have been using mostly the double Davey knot for smaller flies. Of the several times I have lost flies to snags, the knot did not fail but the tippet broke. For bigger flies I try to use a non-slip loop, unless I am in a hurry or want to conserve tippet (I waste a lot of tippet on that knot) I will still use a clinch knot. Though for really big hooks (where the wire is much thicker than the tippet) I understand that the clinch knot loses strength. In that case I sometimes use a Palomar knot. If I am using a tippet ring I tie it one with clinch knots.

I have tried to learn and practice a bunch of other knots, but really only use a few. I think tenkara purists use one knot for everything.

Default Re: Clinch Knot turns

Just to update, try the Trileen Knot instead of the Clinch. The tippet going through the eye twice not only yields a stronger knot but also locks the tippet to the front of the eye reducing frictional energy weakening movement of mono to metal. I usually use 6 turns as I also do with the Non Slip Loop. The Trileen for a direct connection and the None-Slip for a fly to be stripped and paused.
    Last edited by sweetandsalt; 10-09-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Just to update, try the Trileen Knot instead of the Clinch. The tippet going through the eye twice not only yields a stronger knot but also locks the tippet to the front of the eye reducing frictional energy weakening movement of mono to metal.
    Try that on a size 22 hook. NOT going to get the line thru that eye twice.

I've always used an improved cinch with about 6 wraps but I think I will try the Orvis knot.
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

Quote Originally Posted by satyr View Post
    Try that on a size 22 hook. NOT going to get the line thru that eye twice
    I've never known him to fish a sz. 22 fly. Nor, do I but your statement made me curious. I thought I might have some 22's but the smallest hooks I could find in my supply were 20's. I was able to pass 6x through twice with relative ease. The trick is to pull the first line tight to the eye as you make the second pass through. Of course one must keep the eye of the hook clear when tying a fly. Flies are no good if the eye is not free and clear...

For No good reason other than habit, I usually use a uni instead of a clinch or trilene knot on dry fly hooks, that is...
    Last edited by dillon; 10-18-2018 at 02:10 PM.

Yes, going through the hook eye twice can be a challenge in poor light or with commercially tied flies. Our Western trout fishing is usually wrapped up before Tricos or Caenis are the main menu items so #'s 18, 20 at the smallest are about as small as we fish. One should have a repertoire of good knots one is comfortable and confident in. I recommend the Trileen only because I consider it the best fixed to the eye knot both for strength and Nylon to metal abrasion protection. However, the best knot is the one each of us believes in and can tie well. Oh, and I usually use 6 turns.

Blog Entries

7? Not sure what species you're fishing for, but when I used to tie clinch knots (on rare occasions I'll still tie one just to keep it in the memory bank), I typically went with 4 twists. 5, if I thought I was going to tie into some really big fish or a snapping turtle. With #16 line, unless you're going after 30+ lb. fish in heavy current I'd say you could go as little as 3 turns. Never even tried more than 5 twists.

This video shows basically how I've been tying clinch knots most of my life (this is not me, just an example I borrowed off YT):
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

7. Thanks desmobob thanked for this post
    Likes el jefe liked this post

That's a neat trick I had never seen in the video rangerrich99 shared.

One thing it did remind me, though... I don't think I've ever tied anything but an improved clinch knot. Do folks commonly use the un-improved version?

Tight lines,
    Bob
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

Knots, especially in the tippet to leader and tippet to fly are the weak link in our connection with a fish. Always more likely to fail than the standing material itself. All knots that include concentric coils, Blood, Nail, Clinches, Non-Slip Loops, Trileen and more achive their integrity via the non-overlapping, no-gaps snugness of one coil pressing against the next. Theoretically, the more coils perfectly aligned the stronger the knot. However, the more coils, the more difficult it is to perfectly align them during the tightening process. Thus 4 just right turns are better than 8 not so right. I have no problem carefully snugging 6 so that is what I choose to use and both visually and pull test the knot so if it is going to break, I'm going to break it not some fine fish. I never knot on a fly thinking, "This will do, I'm not going to catch a big one anyway".

I have always used 7 turns with 5x and 6x. I guess I am just lucky - haven't had the knot fail.

Quote Originally Posted by rodneyshishido View Post
    I have always used 7 turns with 5x and 6x. I guess I am just lucky - haven't had the knot fail.
    How can you go thru life and never break a fish off by snapping the fly off the tippet?! Do you only catch 6 inch fish? Or are you that perfect at the strike?
    My best vacation is your worst nightmare. After all, it's only really fun if it is at least Type 2 fun.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast