Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Clinch Knot turns

Any opinions on the optimum no. of turns for a clinch knot on 16 lb. mono? Seven turns are pretty hard to tighten; I'm thinking maybe five.

Default Re: Clinch Knot turns

16 lb. ... ?
    I do 3 & 1/2 turns with Climax, Maxima or Trilene. You can feel the resistance when you get to that point.

The flexibility and diameter of monos determine the number of turns, but consistently with every one you can feel it when you're getting that resistance and it becomes harder to make the next turn
    That's when you know it's time to stop.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Blog Entries

With smaller stuff I used to do 7 but a buddy of mine said anymore than 4 and you're just showing off. I only do 4 or 5 now and feel like I break less off....could be perception but 4 seems just fine.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

I've never used more than three, on any size line, and less on thick line offshore.

If I can see. I use a non-slip for files. When I can't see clinch. Tied so many don't have to think. 7 turns is what I learned and for the most part what I use. Tippets to 20lb....... at times some line from 15 up will only take 5 turns. I tighten knots in my mouth. Then pliers on tag end. 7 turns is usually not a problem.
    Before going less than 5 turns. I'll use a different knot. Going less is weak knot in my opinion.
    Yes bigger mono makes any knot harder to tie. It has been shown in labs. That knots In mono 20 lbs & up. Can not be tightened fully without the use of a mechanical device. Pliers.

........ pc

6. Thanks terrymac thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530 liked this post

Like pnc, for a #16 tippet I would be using a non-slip-loop knot with 6 turns. For a fixed knot I use a clinch or more often Trileen knot with 6 turns. I might use 7 but never fewer than 5 turns. Coil based knots obtain their integrity from snug, non-overlapping, concentric coils. In a nail or Albright knot I use 12 to 15 turns.

8. Likes hairwing530, rockriver liked this post

Agree with what Riptide posted. I always end up around four turns for anything in the 14-17# range when tying a clinch.

10. Thanks Rip Tide thanked for this post
    Likes hairwing530, kentuckysteve liked this post

Yup
    I didn't just pull a number out of a hat
    That's what I do every time
    3 1/2
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

12. Likes hairwing530 liked this post
  13. Default Re: Clinch Knot turns

I just spin it in my fingers and pull the tag end through so I have no idea how many turns. By the way this is when using that knot to attach a dropper on the bend of a hook. I use a double davy for everything else.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jbcissell; 03-14-2018 at 09:29 AM.

14. Likes jangles liked this post

I prefer the Trileen also. I often use a loop knot with that size tippet though, because it probably means I'm using some type of baitfish imitation that benefits from more movement. On smaller tippet, I've been using the San Diego Smash. With all of these, I like to go seven turns. What's most important is how you cinch the knots down, weak line=weak knot. It's best to tie them the same way every time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast