If the knot looks bad...

karstopo

Reaction score
Change it. My blood knot looked bad, asymmetrical, but I went with it anyway yesterday evening for my habitual torturing of the bass with a deer hair diver. Get a good take and better resistance, and then none. Blood knot came unravelled. Story has a happy ending for me and the fish. I found the same diver this morning about 50 feet from where the fish took it. Soggy, but otherwise okay.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

airborne 82nd

Reaction score
Great point, i find myself at times rushing through knots ,ill get on the river and be excited rush the knot and i pay the price ..
Airborne

dillon

Reaction score
Several years ago I drove up the Columbia Gorge for an evening of Steelhead fishing. In the parking area I tied on a skunk pattern with an upeye hook, using a double turle knot. It didn't seem right but I was anxious to get fishing so I left it and hiked up to a run. Within a few swings I got a good surface grab. It turned and line started peeling off the reel I lifted the rod and the fish was gone. Upon reeling in and inspecting the leader their was a curly Q at the end of the tippet. Lesson learned, it won't happen again.

desmobob

Reaction score
Blood knots can sometimes be hard to cinch down well, especially with the hard types of leader material; saliva doesn't always do the trick. I carry a small tube of knot lube (Gehrke's Knot-perfect) and make sure I always use it on blood knots.

What luck that you found your fly!

Tight lines,
Bob

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
A great point. Bad knots lose more large fish for me. Check them and your tippet religiously.

el jefe

Reaction score
Blood knots can sometimes be hard to cinch down well, especially with the hard types of leader material; saliva doesn't always do the trick. I carry a small tube of knot lube (Gehrke's Knot-perfect) and make sure I always use it on blood knots.

What luck that you found your fly!

Tight lines,
Bob
Fly floatant works, as well, so you can carry less stuff.

camelbrass

Reaction score
If I look at a knot and have even a moments hesitation about it I retie it.

Regards,

Trevor

flav

Reaction score
I usually retie if there's any doubt or a knot looks even a little wrong, but like Dillon, a summer steelhead proved to me that even if I have a bad feeling about a knot I should retie.
I was on the N Umpqua on a July morning and sunlight was starting to hit the water. I hurried to tie on a new fly before the sun hit the water. I use a non slip loop, but something felt wrong when I cinched it down. It looked ok, though, and I was in a hurry so I went ahead anyway. In ten years of fishing the river I'd never hooked a fish in that little pool anyway, it was just fun to swing a fly there. About a dozen casts in a steelhead absolutely hammered my fly, cartwheeled, set out on a blistering run, my backing knot shot through my guides, and then everything went slack. I reeled in and looked at my tippet. My nonslip loop had slipped. No pigtails, just the little overhand loop and a inch or two of tag end. I laughed because I knew it was my fault, but on a river where one hookup a day is good fishing it was a bit disappointing. I think about that fish a lot when I'm tying on a fly even though it was several years ago.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
Visual inspection of a knot is a part of the knot tying process; executing, thoroughly tightening and inspecting for flaws. A note on tying coil based knots as I did countless times last week in the Bahamas, when tightening and you feel frictional resistance, stop. Using your thumb nail, push the coils together then restart snugging. I performed most of my leader Nail Knots at home pre-departure and replaced tippets, 20 - 15#, on the boat using the Ligature Knot...a bit more complex and using more tippet material to tie that a Blood knot but stronger. All our flies where tied on with a six turn, Non-Slip Loop Knot; mostly tied by me but my wife tied her own several times too.

In a weeks bonefishing, we endured zero knot failures. We lost a few flies to tippets cut by sharp things like gnarly mangrove roots and shark's teeth but only one break off involved a knot. No, my wife's Non-Slip Loop did not unravel nor slip, rather the loop through the hook eye parted in the middle...in 20# Flouro! I've never seen that before and do not understand why and it was probably her biggest bone too.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Looks bad or feels bad. I've been tying the same terminal knots now for almost 40 years and I can feel it when I tie a knot wrong, especially when I try to cinch it tight. I don't even bother wondering about it anymore; I just cut it off and start over. Sometimes this had cost me a chance at a fish, because it slips away or whatever. But I'm fairly certain that EVERY time I fished a bad knot and got a hit, the knot failed, usually immediately.