Best knot for fly line to tippet?

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
I've read that the nail not is the best but I'm very confused about them and haven't had much success in trying to tie it while sitting on my couch. Are there any good easy knots to tie that I can use? I believe that I need some loop to loop knots as both my fly line and tippet have loops on the end so I don't think many of the ones I've seen will work.

Thanks!

Last edited:

jr spey

Reaction score
I've read that the nail not is the best but I'm very confused about them and haven't had much success in trying to tie it while sitting on my couch. Are there any good easy knots to tie that I can use? I believe that I need some loop to loop knots as both my fly line and tippet have loops on the end so I don't think many of the ones I've seen will work.

Thanks!
If both your flyline and tippet (likely leader) have loops you need no knot. Just koop-to-loop the two together. If replacing the leader eventually then you'll either buy another with a loop or build your own and use a perfection loop to create your own loop.

LimerickShaw

Reaction score
If both your flyline and tippet (likely leader) have loops you need no knot. Just koop-to-loop the two together. If replacing the leader eventually then you'll either buy another with a loop or build your own and use a perfection loop to create your own loop.
Yeah, I think I used the wrong terminology on that one! At some point maybe I'll use the right words. Tippet is the stuff that comes off the spool that I can attach to the leader. I should have remembered that as I was typing but always flip flop them. Okay, so loop to loop it is.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
Loop to loop is easy, but make sure you do it right. Rio and other web sites have video showing the steps but I will describe it briefly here.

1. Put the loop on the fly line through the loop on the leader and slide the leader above the loop on the line.

2. Take the other end of the leader and pass it through the loop on the fly line and then pull it all the way through so it bring the two loops together. That way the loops join without putting a bend into either the line or the leader.

Don

dillon

Reaction score
I use the nail knot tool as well when connecting a tapered nylon leader butt to the fly line. It is very easy to use and creates a much smoother, cleaner transition than loops. The loops can create a disturbance on a smooth water surface that could cause presentation problems when dry fly fishing. When replacing the leader simply cut it off about a foot from the fly line and tie a new one on with a blood knot. A surgeons knot could also be used. Again,
I hear, it's faster and easier, but I have never used them. Learning how to tie good knots is a important skill to master and you tube is a visual learners best friend...

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I agree with those who prefer casting and fishing the simple, small elegant nail knot. But those knots can be difficult for a new angler to master, particularly out wading in a stream.

But I prefer furled nylon leaders and those don’t work with nail knots. Also I have friends who change from dry fly leaders to sinking streamer leaders to euro nymph leaders and back throughout the day. For those folks loop to loop is the most practical solution.

But I dislike the loop to loop junction so much that I may be forced to go back to tapered mono leaders and my preferred nail knot.

Don

dillon

Reaction score
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDTdglqQOg
I've got to try this connection some day. For long dry fly leaders Sweet and salt and I use Orvis braided leaders. We cut off the loops and slide the end of the flyline into the hollow core of the braided butt. Then glue it. However, I still like a full nylon leader sometimes and I do agree that the loops are nice if you are going to swap out different kinds of leaders. The lop on a braided leader actually makes a pretty smooth transition to a looped flyline, but I don't like loops on nylon leaders at all. Sweetness has written a lot about braided leaders on this forum.

sparsegraystubble

Reaction score
I tried those braided leaders for about a year and then went back to them a couple times just because I liked fishing them for dries, emergers and soft hackles. this was before tippet rings and I didn’t care for the loop to loop tippet attachment.

But I always seemed to be fighting the spray from those braided leaders when false casting even though I would dress them with floatant. Have you guys beaten that spray problem? I don’t get that spray with nylon furled leaders.

I also liked the connection putting the fly line directly into the braid. But Instead of using glue to secure it, I used a mono nail knot (about 3x) at the top of the braid I never had one of those fail. And I dislike working with glue either on lines or when tying flies. On lines I always think it creates a stiff spot but that may be because I tend to be ham handed and apply too much glue when using it.

Don

dillon

Reaction score
We cut both loops off the braid and nail knot on 0x. Then build down to 5 x. This makes the total leader length 15 up to 20 ft. The spray is not a problem as it reminds me to false cast away from the fish. We never treat the braid and use zap a gap glue sparingly. The fly line only needs to go into the braid an inch. I'm going to try uv glue this year.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
All lines and leaders spray water droplets when false casting. Braided and furled leaders a bit more as there is more surface area to hold water. It depends on the light angle as to how much you see this when casting but a surface feeding fish can see the anomaly even if you don't. As Dillon indicated, this observation trains you to false cast away from your quarry while drying and measuring your line/leader...do this regardless of leader type as not only spray but reflected light off your line is a potential alarm as well.

The spliced braided loop on the braid or the sorb loop on the furl is slim and snug when mated to the welded loop of current fly lines and assuming proper mass matching (the Parabolic Test) create little disturbance in the cast or presentation. Yes, for the less compressed .021 monofilament butt, a multi-turn (I like 12 turns) Nail Knot is surely preferable but this is generally tied at home or in camp, rarely out on the river. the slender brass tube of a fly tying bobbin is as good a Nail Knot tool as there is.

Inserting the angle cut tip of a fly line into the loop-cut-off butt end of a Braid, inserting the line 1/2 to 3/4" and applying high viscosity Zap-A-Gap cyanoacrylate makes as smooth a line leader connection as there is. It is important to use this glue not regular super glues as one wants to avoid wicking into the hollow braid. After carefully applying the Zap, wick excess off onto scrap paper and allow to fully cure, at least an hour. At the terminus of the Braid I don't use the loop but, as Dillon wrote, make a 12 turn Nail Knot of O - 1X Nylon and build down conventionally from there to a 5' tippet section.

Such a leader does require some craft and maintenance on behalf of the angler...fine with us as it produces the ultimate in dry fly leader performance. Oh, and yes, I use some all Nylon Cutthroat Furls too, built down the same way from the tip end, never with a tippet ring (ich!). These are a little more aggressive and Ifavor tehm on my 6-weight and the Braid on #'s 4 & 5. These, of course, are dry fly leaders and more or less superfluous for sub surface methodologies.

wjc

Reaction score
S&S said:
the slender brass tube of a fly tying bobbin is as good a Nail Knot tool as there is.
Good wording S&S, "As good as .." :D

The one to compare it to is one of my favorite line rigging tools - a bent length of Malin leader wire #4 or #5 for nail knots if it's a thick butt section. You can spread the looped end 2 inches wide to put the butt tag end through and roll the barrel wraps back and forth between thumb and forefinger as you pull the tag end in under them. Never get a crossed wrap.

bigspencer

Reaction score
The word "tippet" is simply a word referencing the LAST section of leader, or the thinnest end of the leader, that attaches to your fly....
The "butt" end is the thickest end that you tie onto the flyline.

A TOG(Team Old Guy) that still uses a blood knot for tippet to fly and nail knot(actually 5/6 of a complete nail knot holds as long as you pull everything up evenly) or utilizing a loop for leader butt to flyline.
However I'm about ready to sit down and learn to use the quickest tippet to fly thing out there;)

oldskewl808

Reaction score
The word "tippet" is simply a word referencing the LAST section of leader, or the thinnest end of the leader, that attaches to your fly....
The "butt" end is the thickest end that you tie onto the flyline.

A TOG(Team Old Guy) that still uses a blood knot for tippet to fly and nail knot(actually 5/6 of a complete nail knot holds as long as you pull everything up evenly) or utilizing a loop for leader butt to flyline.
However I'm about ready to sit down and learn to use the quickest tippet to fly thing out there;)
Not always the thinnest. = shock tippet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patrick62

Reaction score
I use the nail knot as described in Tim Cammisa's excellent You Tube video

YouTube

I like the low profile.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Ohhh...

I can look at knot diagrams until my eyes cross and not get it. I have to see it done.

I can do that without a tool but the tool sure makes it look easier.

Thunderstick

Reaction score
Not a fan of loops i cut them off. Nail knot all the way. Practice. I usually cut off about a foot of the leader cause its so stiff. Then add tippit with a double surgeons knot tie on fly with an improved clinch and fish.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk