Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: A question concerning The Movie

Scotty, this YT vid from Rio is good because they use an out-sized hook and thick line to demonstrate the knot, making the stages clear and obvious.
    The reality for us is a little more fiddly!

I might add that the established Spey gillies I worked with all regarded the Turle as the superior knot when the fly used was suitable for it. They had over 100 years experience between the four of them!
    I previously used only a tucked half-blood knot but seldom fished with flies larger than a #8 in those days. I can't say I noticed any great difference in results between the two in terms of breakage but I do feel more confident that the larger flies present better with the Turle so look to tie that first if the neck allows it.

All the best,
    Lewis.

2. Thanks scotty macfly thanked for this post

I remember being taught this knot as a youngster but have not used it in years instead I have used the non-slip loop knot. Anybody who uses the Turle and the non-slip loop interchangeably can comment on when or why they choose one over the other.

Quote Originally Posted by spm View Post
    So, Turle/Turtle knot; do we like this knot?

steve
    Yes..... it was in the movie so it is the perfect fly tying knot. Brad Pitt catches bigger trout than I so it is clearly the right way.

If any movie has ever been scrutinized more for technical accuracy I surely missed it lol.

5. Likes spm, scotty macfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    Yes..... it was in the movie so it is the perfect fly tying knot. Brad Pitt catches bigger trout than I so it is clearly the right way.

If any movie has ever been scrutinized more for technical accuracy I surely missed it lol.
    Sound wisdom. Thanks for clearing that up, DeWayne.

steve
    "As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler" ...Izaak Walton

"Nothing is as bad as something that is not so bad"...Sr. Percival Blakeney, aka The Scarlet Pimpernel

7. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Yes, the Turle was an appropriate period knot for the Movie (Gary Borger was the fly fishing technical consultant for Robert Redford and Jason, his son, was the casting stand-in for Pitt). But today? Its classic advantage in bending on an upturned, looped eye salmon iron was the straight line of pull it offered. It is not a strong knot (as is the non-slip loop, Trileen or clinch) but salmon anglers are also not using light tippets. Back when I annually frequented some Gaspe and New Brunswick rivers, I employed a round the throat, back out the eye, 4 turn clinch seated into the looped eye for a straight line of pull. This worked well but still engendered the eyrie of most seasoned salmon guides...my rejection of Maxima in favor of copolymer, modern nylon tippet material did as well.

For some interesting insights on "the movie", check out Hank Patterson's video:

:-)
    Tight lines,
    Bob
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

10. Likes ia_trouter liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12