A Millwright and His Knots

xvigauge

Reaction score
My father was a millwright for many years and they used specific and sometimes complicated knots in their riggings. When I was a little kid, I loved to go fishing (still do of course) yet my Dad was not a great fisherman and just did not have any patience for it. He would take the kids fishing, however, and would help bait hooks, tie on hooks, etc. Years later, as I remember him tying knots in fishing line, the actual knots he used were the same knots he used in rope as a millwright. In thinking back on it, I remember that the knots looked good and really did hold up well. Anyone have any idea on what these knots might have been and if so, would they still be useful for fishing line/leaders?
Joe

Rip Tide

Reaction score
When I was a kid, I was taught to use the "weaver's knot", a variation of the sheet bend for a line to leader knot
Can't recommend it.

tcorfey

Reaction score
In my 20's I was a millwright but, we did very little work with ropes. Most of the rigging I did was big stuff that required cables, chains or big straps with shackles. Back in those days and even now for fishing line I mostly use a Clinch knot on small hooks and a Palomar knot for larger (think saltwater) hooks. You might look at "Audel's Millwright and Mechanics Guide" it covers all aspects of the trade and is a great reference book too.

Regards,

Tim C.