Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

Default No knot fas snap

Has anyone ever used these nymphing or dry fly fishing ? I have used them spin fishing for bass and bluegill and they worked fine but haven't tried them on a fly rod . There are all sizes . Just a thought .

Default Re: No knot fas snap

Hopefully someone will reply to this question. I have a couple of those fas snap too, I don't remember when or where I got em? But I would like to know if they are worth using fishing nymphs or streamers. Adios Philip

Used them spinning years ago, curious too if they work for fly. Someone has to have used them as I acquired several used reels with fly line and fassnaps were on the end of the leader. Now I feel stupid for not trying them before removal, age and health issues are going to force the issue for me soon.

4. Likes jangles liked this post
    Blog Entries

I have used them streamer fishing, when changing colors/patterns.
    I suppose you could use them nymphing.....
    I always just test to find out something that I need to know.......you should test and report back......
    How hard could it be?
    You will find hook eye is a limiter...

Jim

6. Likes jangles liked this post

Someone on another board uses them attach a dropper fly above a blood knot. Seemed like a good idea but, as Bigfly mentioned they won't work with smaller hook eyes.

I use them all the time. The purist probably frowns on them, but I find they are real convenient for quickly changing flies, especially when fishing for bass, crappie and gills. I even use them in salt water, but have to change them more often because the corrosion will weaken them.

I don't get to trout fish as often, but I haven't had any problem catching trout when using them for nymphing. It's important to use as small a size as possible for your particular fly.

I haven't used them for dry fly fishing and suspect they may not be suitable for that application.

9. Likes jangles liked this post
    Blog Entries

Early in my FF career I tried them out (had a couple pkgs from my spin fishing days); and for the most part they worked just fine. Occasionally they would fly off during false-casting. YMMV of course.
    "Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

There’s no way around tying knots with fly fishing. I’d say pass and learn your knots the best you can.

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

12. Likes Ard liked this post
    Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wyoming at different times of the year .

Quote Originally Posted by flytie09 View Post
    There’s no way around tying knots with fly fishing. I’d say pass and learn your knots the best you can.

ft09
    I don't have any problems tying knots but a friend of mine has had surgery in both hands and cant tie anything . Has been this way for a while now and while I don't mind tying a fly on for him sometimes when we are separated on a river if he breaks off or wants to try something different he has to run me down . Hence , will it work ? I'm over a 3hr drive just to get to any kind of fishable water so trying it myself is not an option .
    Ron Zimmerman

Driving a 52 Chevy in a Cadillac lane on my way to a river near you .

Don't forget your duct tape , Red Green

Thread Killer

If the question is to combat a physical limitation... then by all means give them a try. They’re cheap enough. I’ve not used them and fortunately haven’t had to.

There are other options I can suggest......those being using flies with large eyes, magnetic eye threader tool and the forceps knot. Check them out.

Forceps Knot:

Magnetic Hook Threader:

Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Large Eye Fly Hooks:

Orvis.com Mobile Site

Good luck

ft09

“If I fished only to capture fish, my fishing trips would have ended long ago.”
    ~Zane Grey

" . . . shouldn't a man stand on his own two feet and catch his own steelhead? Maybe put out some effort and find his own fish just for the fun of it?"
    ~Syd Glasso

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast